Malek's Pizza Palace, Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Delia's salads trounce anything that comes out of Mike's kitchen, its Peruvian chicken makes Mike's chicken (with the requisite garlic mashed slop) look like fast food, and the service and atmosphere at Delia's is far more comforting. Malek's sandwich lineup is fresher and more diverse, its salads not quite on a par with Delia's but well above Mike's and its Greek and Italian entrees are superior to the uninspired dreck that comes out of most GAR kitchens. If you like Mike's above Delia's and Malek's, I'm shocked.

To see if I was just talking out of my ass I went to Malek's for lunch today, since it has been a while since I had last dined there. I had one of their sandwiches, the pork souvlaki ($6.99). The tender, tasty (although somewhat salty) pork was served on an industrial pita with iceberg lettuce and some tasteless hot house tomato slices. The side was rippled potato chips of unknown origin. While tasty and satisfying for the time I had and the amount I wanted to eat, I hardly think that is is more diverse or inspired that anything from a GAR kitchen. Hell just look at the menu here, certainly nothing different than any other Italian/Greek type of place. Does that mean I think it is bad, certainly not, but the food is certainly no better than Mike's.

[This probably should be in a new thread...]

To see if I was just talking out of my ass I went to Malek's for lunch today, since it has been a while since I had last dined there. I had one of their sandwiches, the pork souvlaki ($6.99). The tender, tasty (although somewhat salty) pork was served on an industrial pita with iceberg lettuce and some tasteless hot house tomato slices. The side was rippled potato chips of unknown origin. While tasty and satisfying for the time I had and the amount I wanted to eat, I hardly think that is is more diverse or inspired that anything from a GAR kitchen. Hell just look at the menu here, certainly nothing different than any other Italian/Greek type of place. Does that mean I think it is bad, certainly not, but the food is certainly no better than Mike's.

[This probably should be in a new thread...]

I'm happy to keep the repartee going. Malek's is family owned, does not dish out slop from a corporate kitchen or a Sysco truck, and does not require you to shout to be heard by your dinner companions. Those are three qualities that the GAR chain cannot offer. Then there's the chicken cacciatore, the lasagna and the chicken souvlaki, along with the occasional special of eggplant parmegiana, all of which are superior entrees to anything on Mike's menu. And lest you consider this a personal tete-a-tete, let me assure you that I've lived in this area for years and I know half of Springfield, and dozens upon dozens of people agree with this assessment. But by all means, enjoy Mike's. I just happen to think it's the worst value and quality for your dining dollars in all of Springfield, with the possible exception of the Outback about a half mile south on Backlick.

I'm happy to keep the repartee going. Malek's is family owned, does not dish out slop from a corporate kitchen or a Sysco truck...

Have you ever been in the kitchen of a GAR restaurant? I doubt it. It is nice that Malek's is family owned, but that unfortunately does not necessarily make the food any better.

And don't even get me started on the poor renditions of Italian food that many places around here serve. Blah...

And don't even get me started on the poor renditions of Italian food that many places around here serve. Blah...

OK, we have finally reached some common ground. I agree with this statement, even if we diverge on other points. We ought to have a separate thread on the good, the bad and the ugly for Italian food in the northern Virginia 'burbs. Put Zeffirelli's at or near the top of my list.

Although I've never eaten at this restaurant, doing the Dining Guide research dichotomizes my heart, or at least rips it in two: mdt is probably right, and so is kibbee nayee.

Knowing what I know (about similar situations), I'd probably go to Mike's for dinner, and raise a toast to Malek's while I'm there. Give them credit for having a website in an area (Springfield) where many places still don't. [Reminder to self: Go through entire dining guide and check for new websites ... any volunteers? Please PM me.]

Happy fourth quarter everyone - my calendar changed to October 1st as I was typing the previous sentence.

Cheers,

Rocks.