Vegetarian Breakfast Crepes

legant

Different sort of question...

I need to make a vegetarian alternative of a breakfast dish: herbed crepes w/ smoked salmon, chives, cream cheese and radishes. I'm looking for something simple, something else that I can substitute for the smoked salmon to the existing ingredients to make the crepes veggie friendly.

I thought about: tart apples, cukes, strawberry preserves. Or, would simply a cream cheese and radish crepe satisfy the veg?

Any other suggestions?

I need to make a vegetarian alternative of a breakfast dish: herbed crepes w/ smoked salmon, chives, cream cheese and radishes. I'm looking for something simple, something else that I can substitute for the smoked salmon to the existing ingredients to make the crepes veggie friendly.

I thought about: tart apples, cukes, strawberry preserves. Or, would simply a cream cheese and radish crepe satisfy the veg?

Any other suggestions?

I would think the cucumbers would be good. Would some form of tofu be workable to compensate for the texture and flavor? I'm thinking of the fried tofu that gets wrapped around/stuffed with rice. Is that called inari? Somehow that seems like it would fit flavorwise, but I'm not sure if that's just something that appeals to me or if it is a totally bad idea :(.

ETA: It occurs to me that finding the inari might be a problem, especially if you're asking this here because you need to know soon. What about avocado?

Any other suggestions?

Thinking about the characteristics that smoked salmon contributes to the dish, other than fish--salty, oily, chewy, smoky--I'm thinking that substituting sliced tomato, chopped kalamata olives and capers gets you everything except the smoky taste. I have some smoked salt, and I have seen Maldon smoked salt at the Tenley Whole Foods--don't know if you can get your hands on any, or maybe you have some Liquid Smoke. A drop or two. Maybe ricotta could substitute for cream cheese in a more substantial way. Don't forget the chives or some chopped shallot. Could be very good.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe a sautee of wild mushrooms? Some porcinis cooked with black pepper and some wine? And goat's cheese?

Cream cheese alone wouldn't do it for me were I the vegetarian. However, if there are mushrooms in the house, sauté sliced mushrooms in butter--or a little fussier, heat up some olive oil, throw in minced parsley & garlic and when you smell that and oil's sizzling, throw in your mushrooms. Stir over high heat and toss on a little salt. After they throw off liquid, stir until that liquid's evaporated. Turn off heat. Salt and pepper. A squirt of lemon if you've got it. I'd skip the radish unless it's just garnish, but otherwise this goes w the cream cheese and chives. If you have time to shop, shitake will give you some of the texture you get w the salmon. I managed to find decent chanterelles in today's mix at Whole Foods (be picky, but you only need a few and they'll cost you $2-3 vs. $16 for the very cool salt that lots like hardened pellets of potting soil). The tart apple would be very good were you to sauté it in butter.