What To Do With One Morel

lperry

While weeding the flower bed (I'm procrastinating my writing...) I found a morel. One. A nice white one, maybe eleven or twelve centimeters tall, and perfectly fresh. But just one. And I looked hard for a second.

After I got over the utter joy of learning I have a morel mycelium in my yard, and after feeding it a good, thick layer of leaf mulch, I started to think about what I was going to do with one mushroom for dinner tonight. Thoughts?

While weeding the flower bed (I'm procrastinating my writing...) I found a morel. One. A nice white one, maybe eleven or twelve centimeters tall, and perfectly fresh. But just one. And I looked hard for a second.

After I got over the utter joy of learning I have a morel mycelium in my yard, and after feeding it a good, thick layer of leaf mulch, I started to think about what I was going to do with one mushroom for dinner tonight. Thoughts?

Saute in butter. Sprinkle with salt. Savor. Sssshhhhhh.

I agree w Dan, though if you got a little cream, it wouldn't hurt. Place on toast. Pour some wine to celebrate...

Another idea: stuff the hollow part w ricotta, Parmesan and chives. Dip in light tempura-like batter and deep fry. Or do this with the ones you find tomorrow morning; should storm tonight. Morels ought to take kindly to the sorts of things we do to zucchini blossoms in summer.

We did a butter sauté in Illinois when we used to hunt them as grad students. There's something very satisfying about coming home with a huge bagful of very expensive food that you could never afford to buy, but could have for the price of a hike and maybe a few bug bites. I need to find the good butter. I think I've got some in the freezer.