Rice-Stuffed Cornish Game Hens

Pat

Planning rice-stuffed Cornish game hens for Sunday. A couple of people will only eat 1/2 bird. I'm pondering whether to halve the hens and then stuff them or to stuff them and roast them whole, and then halve them. Ideas on which is preferable? My carving skills aren't the best, so that is a factor :D.

Planning rice-stuffed Cornish game hens for Sunday. A couple of people will only eat 1/2 bird. I'm pondering whether to halve the hens and then stuff them or to stuff them and roast them whole, and then halve them. Ideas on which is preferable? My carving skills aren't the best, so that is a factor :D.
Halve them first, then pan roast them so the skin gets nice and crispy. Partially cook the rice in a separate pot. Remove the hens and cover in foil, then toss in the rice, toast, and deglaze with your favorite liquid.

Halve them first, then pan roast them so the skin gets nice and crispy. Partially cook the rice in a separate pot. Remove the hens and cover in foil, then toss in the rice, toast, and deglaze with your favorite liquid.

All good until you mentioned covering the hens with foil. The moisture that it will trap will ruin the crispy skin that was created.

I had thought I would cook the rice close to done but not quite and then stuff the hens with it and roast. Do you get more juice and flavor from toasting the rice in the pan than in cooking it in the bird?

[Foil comment noted, mdt.]

I had thought I would cook the rice close to done but not quite and then stuff the hens with it and roast. Do you get more juice and flavor from toasting the rice in the pan than in cooking it in the bird?

[Foil comment noted, mdt.]

Whip some butter with lemon zest, orange zest, and garlic and then stuff under the skin of the hen it will add flavor and also give it a nice crispy brown top.

Spatchcock the hens (cut out the backbone) and open them up and roast them over the stuffing. That way, the stuffing absorbs the juices and it's easy to give someone 1/2--just a single chop through the breast bone with a sharp, heavy-duty knife. Cook the rice with just a tiny bit less water, so that it won't turn to total mush as it absorbs cooking juices.

Spatchcock the hens (cut out the backbone) and open them up and roast them over the stuffing. That way, the stuffing absorbs the juices and it's easy to give someone 1/2--just a single chop through the breast bone with a sharp, heavy-duty knife. Cook the rice with just a tiny bit less water, so that it won't turn to total mush as it absorbs cooking juices.
Thanks. That sounds like a good plan, my spatchcocking ability notwithstanding :D . The rice tip is especially helpful. Probably wouldn't have thought of that.

I also like the butter and citrus under the skin idea, but one of the people at the meal is on a very restricted diet, so I'm not sure how far I can go with extras in the cooking.