Huckleberries

monavano

I bought a bunch of gorgeous huckleberries from the market. In order to figure out what to make with them, and how much to sweeten them, I bit into one and...yuck! Not berry-ish, but just a mild sour taste. Does anyone have experience with huckleberries? I had been thinking of making them for panna cotta, but I am going to use blueberries instead,

Thanks!

I bought a bunch of gorgeous huckleberries from the market. In order to figure out what to make with them, and how much to sweeten them, I bit into one and...yuck! Not berry-ish, but just a mild sour taste. Does anyone have experience with huckleberries? I had been thinking of making them for panna cotta, but I am going to use blueberries instead,

Thanks!

Cook them with some sugar before you decide not to use them. IMO most berries, except strawberries and raspberries, are better cooked than raw.

Thanks!

A neighbor's mom once gave us a great huckleberry cobbler, made with huckleberries from their garden.

Thanks!

As another suggestion, a simple syrup made from huckleberry would be a fabulous addition to a glass of sparkling wine or other cocktail needs.

It's huckleberry o'clock somewhere.

I found a vendor at the Old Town Alexandria market who has been selling them. She's from Culpepper, VA.

[am going to make a sauce now...will let you know how it turns out.]

I like pan sauces with red wine and huckleberries over duck or a pork loin.

I like pan sauces with red wine and huckleberries over duck or a pork loin.

I love berry sauce on pork, too. Well, the huckleberries took a while to yield when simmered with a bit of water, sugar and lemon. I strained with a chinois. The taste is nice-milder than I thought.