Salmon Steak

Anna Blume

More of a 311 than 911 call:

What should I do w my salmon steak?

Grilling is not an option. Nor are ginger, soy or sesame seed oil as flavors.

Today's the third annual heirloom-tomato and potato gratin from Sunday Suppers at Lucques (a great book for someone who's into seasonal cooking if not about gardening at all. Opal basil, chives & thyme.

Should be done around 8:30 PM.

It's great w roasted chicken, but the wild salmon looked good. Thinking about poaching just for contrast. Thoughts?

And Al Dente, if you're reading this, I am with you on Epicurious. Annoying!!!

Today's the third annual heirloom-tomato and potato gratin from Sunday Suppers at Lucques (a great book for someone who's into seasonal cooking if not about gardening at all. Opal basil, chives & thyme.

It's great w roasted chicken, but the wild salmon looked good. Thinking about poaching just for contrast. Thoughts?

One of my favorite salmon preparations is the simplest. Preheat oven to 425. Loosen up some good mustard with white wine; add a handful of chopped fresh dill or a tsp or so of dried (or if you have extra of the herbs you named above, use some chives). Season salmon with salt and pepper; sear in a hot pan 2-3 minutes (depending how done you like it and how thick the steak is, flip over, stick in oven. After another 3 minutes, brush/pour on mustard. Let cook another 2 minutes or to your liking.

In my mind, it goes great with the gratin you described...just a thought!

I'm probably too late, but the recipe link I posted a few days ago in the dinner thread for the panko crust was pretty good.

My favorite way of cooking salmon is to cedar plank it on the charcoal grill. When that option is not available, my second favorite is slow roasting. This is incredibly simple: just oil and season the fish, put it on a plate or in a ceramic casserole and put it in a 225 degree oven for around 30 minutes, until it is slightly firm to the touch, and is opaque. The timing is not possible to specify, because there are a number of factors at play-the temperature of the fish when it goes in the oven, the thickness of the fish. In other words, it could take less or more time than that. The point with slow roasting is that you get the texture of poached fish without the leaching of flavor into the cooking water that happens with poaching.

Then, serve it nature, with lemon. Or with a dill sauce on the side (mayo, yogurt, lemon, shallot , dill). Or make an herb butter and drop some on the fish when you've taken it out of the oven.