Whiskey galore!

If you are a whisky/whiskey lover, then this is the week for you. By the end of this week, we will have the following:

Laphroaig 18-yr Single Malt (replaces the 15-year, so if you like the 15-year, grab it while you still can)

Tullamore Dew 10-year Single Malt Irish (only 400 cases for the entire U.S.A.)

High West Rye whiskies (supposedly sourced for them by Jim Rutledge, Master Distiller at Four Roses for the past 40+ years)

Death's Door white whiskey (from Wisconsin)

Jefferson's Presidential Select 17-yr Bourbon (the last gasp of the great Stitzel-Weller distillery, long since closed)

Parker's Heritage "Golden Anniversary" Bourbon (with Bourbons from each of Parker Beam's five decades at Heaven Hill)

The 2009 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (Almost as rare as hen's teeth.)

Gosh. I THINK that's all. If not, well hey, it's a darned good start! :(

Death's Door white whiskey (from Wisconsin)

have never run across anything like this one before, probably the most affordable on the list. you could serve it to your guests and tell them it was a light grappa and they would believe you. if you told them it was whiskey, they might not. and not because of the color, clear as water; blindfolding would get the same results. it's fruity and i picked up some licorice and you can read other flavors like that into it, but not the wisconsin wheat from which it comes. as young as it is, i didn't catch that much lightning, and it is smooth, considering.

Parker's Heritage "Golden Anniversary" Bourbon (with Bourbons from each of Parker Beam's five decades at Heaven Hill)

I just got the sales pitch for this one at the HH Bourbon Heritage Center, after they plied us with tastings of Evan Williams single barrel 10 year (good) and Elijah Craig single barrel 18 year (great), but I was able to resist.

What's it going for?

I just got the sales pitch for this one at the HH Bourbon Heritage Center, after they plied us with tastings of Evan Williams single barrel 10 year (good) and Elijah Craig single barrel 18 year (great), but I was able to resist.

What's it going for?

Hansell's blog mentions $150

What's it going for?

It's over $150/bottle. That's all I'm sayin' :(

I am new to the world of whiskey. I've recently discovered bourbon (because before I had a yummy drink at Bourbon the spirit did not exist). Last night I had some jack daniels drink with orange juice at Marvin, and last week had a Manhattan for the first time. I am very interested in learning more about the genre/species of spirits considered whiskey. Other than going on a bender and tasting every kind imaginable, how can I learn more?

You can read all the Chuck Cowdery, Michael Jackson, and Paul Pacult you want, but really there's no substitute for tasting brown likker in all its gloried variety. And believe me, you will want to taste all of it. Even vicarious reading of Straightbourbon.com only serves to whet the palate.

In that respect, DC is lucky to have Bourbon (the bar), which really does have an exceptional list. The upcoming Jack Rose promises to be even more extraordinary where single-malt Scotch is concerned. Ob disclaimer: the owner is a pal, but I thought his list was remarkable even before we'd met.

At least it's an affordable vice to get into, as vices go. For a budget American whiskey starter kit, buying yourself a bottle each of rye (Rittenhouse), bourbon (Wild Turkey 101), and wheated bourbon (Weller Antique 107) will set you back maybe 80 bucks - about the price of one single-malt Scotch - and provide a useful variety of excellent whiskeys. Then you can decide whether or not to treat yourself to something really special.

When you get to the point you need another piece of furniture to store your bottles, Jake or I will be happy to stage an intervention. :)

I am sipping Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (neat).

I had my first sample at Mahogony Cigar Bar in Philly last May (recommended by a mid 20'a former cheerleader turned bartender from Fort Worth named Naomi I believe with a startling knowledge of whiskeys). I was looking for something new and exciting after telling her that I was most recently enjoying the Islay Scotches but on this trip was also trying to expand my companion's palate beyond Maker's Mark. Naomi made a great choice.

Since then, I don't remember seeing Stranahan's in this area until last week when I stumbled on and bought a bottle at an ABC store near Vienna (it was behind the register and had been exchanged at this store).

Once again, the whiskey does not disappoint. And I now know that it wasn't just Naomi. I am relatively new to whiskeys (playing around with them when I can for about 5 years) but this one seems very interesting, with elements of both scotch and bourbon, with a little smoke if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway, has anyone else given this a taste recently or know if we will see more of it in the area? -Tony

I too was going to hunting for it in VA (MD is a lost cause). I saw in the ABC catalog that it could be had, at least by special order. Well, i called a couple ABC stores in the Leesburg area. A couple had no idea what i was talking about. But at one I spoke to a very nice and helpful person. She said that the new pricing guide had just come out and stated Stranahan's would only be available from now on in CO only.

Not just a bummer, but completely makes NO sense. Strananhan's (for better or worse) was just bought out by a much, much larger company. So shouldn't the distribution be expanding, not contracting? And why not still be available for special orders?

This article links to their decision process, plus with an embedded link as to the sale.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2011/01/change_at_stranahans_colorado.php

This whole situation makes me mad. So what, i now have to try to get relatives to bring it out to me, hoping it doesn't get broken in the suitcase or stolen by a bad TSA/baggage handler?

Are they hoping it will turn into a Coors thing (or more recently Fat Tire)? Where it is in great demand, but impossible to get; therefore people go to great lengths to get it? Lame...and highly irritating.