Appreciation for Ben Ali

Tujague

Is it too much to say that we likely would not be chatting on this board about the U and 14th St. restaurant scene if it were not for Ben Ali and his tenacious commitment to that neighborhood for fifty years? Say what you will about the food, it was Ben's endurance that anchored and enabled the rennaissance there.

Is it too much to say that we likely would not be chatting on this board about the U and 14th St. restaurant scene if it were not for Ben Ali and his tenacious commitment to that neighborhood for fifty years? Say what you will about the food, it was Ben's endurance that anchored and enabled the rennaissance there.

That might be a little much, yes.

But he was good guy and helped keep a little piece of pre-riot DC in place even in the post-yuppie era and that's wonderful thing.

I have only been once and I am glad to have experienced a bit of DC's history. One measure of a person is the feeling that is felt by those left beihnd. While his enterprise is a source of pride, he is a genuinely loved individual by so many. That speaks volumes. Hopefully, now he can enjoy a half smoke... I hope we don't have to watch our cholesterol in the next life!

A very nice writeup in the Guardian.

Once, years ago, then-Commerce Secretary Ron Brown broke protocol (with a little help from me, I admit) and roiled the international currency markets. In response, he said, "you know you've come a long way from your Harlem roots when you write one sentence and the yen goes down."

I wonder if Mr. Ali ever thought they'd be writing about him in England when he passed away.

Under appreciated -- breakfast at Ben's.

A public memorial service will be held this Friday:

Celebration of Life

Friday, October 16th, 12 noon

Lincoln Theater

1215 U Street (next to Ben's)

In lieu of flowers the Ali Family asks that you support

The Ben's Chili Bowl Family Foundation

1213 U Street, N.W., D.C.

Washington, D.C., 20009

a non-profit organization

Information from Tim Carman's Young & Hungry blog, and from the Ben's Chili Bowl website.