Jumbo Jumbo Bubble Express, Rockville Pike

Which reminds me, since I was heading south on Rockville Pike for a change I stopped at Richie Center for a black milk tea at Jumbo Jumbo Bubble Express (instead of TenRen), and the drink was just as I described in an earlier post. This is an excellent bubble tea, ranking right up there with TenRen and Bubble Tea Cafe on Rollins Ave as the best I've had in the greater DC area.

Um, if you get their shaved ice bowl, unless you like roasted peanuts, don't pick "peanuts" as a topping. I was expecting boiled peanuts from my olden shaved iced days, and boy, was I in for a surprise.

A tasty, filling, big bowl of shaved ice, 3 toppings to choose from the options of peanuts, Chinese egg pudding, mung bean, red bean, boba bubbles-tapioca, grass jelly, and coconut jelly will ring up only $4.25 pre-tax ($4.75 if you want condensed milk drizzled on top) is a bargain in this area, where Shilla's runs $6-7 and not as good. For some reason, the menu says "winter only" in Chinese, but so far it has been year-round since last summer....

Um, if you get their shaved ice bowl, unless you like roasted peanuts, don't pick "peanuts" as a topping. I was expecting boiled peanuts from my olden shaved iced days, and boy, was I in for a surprise.

A tasty, filling, big bowl of shaved ice, 3 toppings to choose from the options of peanuts, Chinese egg pudding, mung bean, red bean, boba bubbles-tapioca, grass jelly, and coconut jelly will ring up only $4.25 pre-tax ($4.75 if you want condensed milk drizzled on top) is a bargain in this area, where Shilla's runs $6-7 and not as good. For some reason, the menu says "winter only" in Chinese, but so far it has been year-round since last summer....

Great to know! I dearly miss shaved ice and bubble tea from Taiwan in the late 90s. Can you get small servings of bubble tea or are they all in the humungo cups?

What does the "Taiwanese" in the thread title refer to? Do they serve Taiwanse food? If so, can you describe generally what's on their menu?

From eat Washington

Jumbo Jumbo is also a restaurant serving a full menu of popular Chinese dishes like Kung Pao or Szechuan Chicken, Mongolian Beef with Scallions and Eggplant with Black Bean Sauce. But there are some less familiar dishes like Taiwan Chicken with Spiced Salt & Basil, Yu-Ling Roast Duck, and Shredded Pork with Szechuan Pickle Noodle Soup.

There might also be some useful information here (I only understand the pictures).

What does the "Taiwanese" in the thread title refer to? Do they serve Taiwanse food? If so, can you describe generally what's on their menu?

They have salt-n-pepper chicken (yen xu qi), fried pork chop over rice, oyster pancake (I think), some more traditional hot teas drank by the Taiwanese and other assortments. The food I have had has been alright, but I enjoy the beverages and other Taiwanese desserts more.

Mom, gelittleman and I split a few things here last week: the Chinese tempura (fried fish cakes); Chinese-style fried calamari; and the shaved ice with Chinese egg pudding, taro, and grass jelly (paid extra for condensed milk).

The breading on the calamari was weird; a bit starchy, but the calamari flavor was good, good enough for the little man to enjoy a few. The Chinese tempura was a little salty, but otherwise enjoyable and is a good substitute for those looking for Taiwanese small eats.

I loved how they have the little picks found in most Taiwanese eateries. Makes me miss the night markets even that much more so.

I heart the fact that they have Chinese egg pudding. Mmm.

Stopped here yesterday for a bubble tea, realized I had forgotten to eat lunch (it was 2:00), so I also got a carryout order of Fried Tofu with Spicy Salt and Basil. It came in a little paper bag with two skewers, making it really easy to eat while sitting at traffic signals on Rockville Pike. But more to the point, it was delicious! The tofu was piping hot, very light (not oily), and nicely piquant (not overwhelmingly hot). uh oh, I feel another addiction coming on.