Restaurants for Relief Gala, October 17th, 7-10 PM

jparrott

Anybody with the postmortem? I've always been curious to know if these things are worth the financial outlay...

Shrimp and grits as far as the eye could see!!

Beau and I were there (saw MelGold!! :lol: ) and thought that everything we tasted (way more than we should have) was excellent. While numerous variations of shrimp & grits were readily available, and delicious, you could also find outstanding pulled pork, duck confit/duck sausage, beef tenderloin (served with cheese grits of course), a few extra-spicy gumbos (lips tingled for half an hour from one of them!), an amazing smoked trout/crabcake, cheese/fig plates here & there and a fab praline cheesecake. The dishes were tapas-sized but tasting just a few adds up quickly! Pretty good wine offerings of various types, specifically a nice Argentinian Malbec.

It was definitely worth the price, particularly due to the charity supported, but the restaurants really worked hard to present excellent and flavorful dishes that offer something for everyone. I would go to another event like this again anytime.

Edited by Camille-Beau

This was possibly the most fun I've had at a tasting event - either working or at play. Chefs from across the country were there and pulling off some amazing presentations of shrimp, grits, a bit more shrimp, pork, duck, lamb, and did I mention shrimp? :lol:

We were situated conveniently between jparrot's "The Wild Grape" offerings and Andy Husbands from Boston who was serving a lacquered duck breast with cajun ragout & rosemary biscuits. Oceanaire's BBQ shrimp were exceptional, and Thrasher was looking especially stunning a few stations away in his Jose Andres tribute jacket & apron! Needless to say, I didn't end up skipping dinner (dessert or an after-dinner aperitif).

All in all: Great food, great personalities and a great cause...I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Kudos also to the organizers, who had plenty of people available to help unload and facilitate.  I'll keep doing SOS events just for that!

Thanks! I'm one of the organizers. And thanks to everyone who partipated! Through this event and a national Dine around Share Our Strength has raised over 800 thousand dollars for hurricane relief. To learn more visit http://www.strength.org/response/hurricane/index.php