No Hangover on Vacation

V.H.

We recently returned from a two week trip to Provence with a great group of friends. Given that the local Rhone wines were about $3-$4 for a good bottle at the grocery stores and wine cooperatives, we drank great quantities of wine daily. My question is, how was it that I was able to drink four or five glasses of wine every night with dinner and not be hung over in the morning? A friend and I agreed that the only day we woke up with a headache was when we overindulged and had maybe seven glasses.

As a reference point, I only weigh a little over a hundred pounds and two glasses usually totally do me in.

Funny thing about vacations - the food and wine always taste better :lol:

I'll bet you were also drinking more water - I always had plenty of Vitel or Badoit in France, especially in all the cafés and restaurants.

You were probably also eating better and really relaxing and enjoying your meals and taking your time. That makes a difference in your overall well-being.

Thought this might be a good topic to update.

This week's Wall Street Journal wine column is on food and wine pairings while on vacation - specifically cruising. Y'all might enjoy seeing how the columnists' assistant researches restaurants...

TASTINGS

By DOROTHY J. GAITER AND JOHN BRECHER

Hidden Treasures in Ports of Call

How to Include Fine Wines On Your Cruise Itinerary; Defining a 'Dumb Period'

April 14, 2006

<snip>

Setting an Agenda

Having a great wine experience during a brief stop on a cruise might require some homework. This is how our assistant, Melanie Grayce West, narrowed the possibilities for us before our trip.

eGullet.com is a great site for first-hand foodie information, restaurant reviews and discussion. The site is organized by message boards where registered members can write in to share and read information. I found a message board called "The Caribbean, USVI and West Indies," where people posted detailed results of their eating adventures. eGullet was also the most navigable and straightforward of the sites I visited.

Next, I visited my second-favorite foodie site, Chowhound.com, and searched in the "International" message board to find recommendations. This site provides a vast amount of information over a long period of time, but the way it's categorized makes it a bit difficult to find what you're looking for. To search through the posts quickly, use the screen search find function (control "F") and enter your keyword. This will lead you faster to the entries you want, but it will still take patience and time to get the right information.

Finally, the Web site cruisecritic.com has a message board called "Cruise Foodies." The opinions on this message board were not as detailed as those on eGullet or Chowhound, but I did notice long lists of what to expect with cruise food and a few recipe swaps. So if you have a meal onboard and want the recipe later, or you want a sense of what you might be eating on your cruise (one recent post: "I love gourmet food -- will I hate cruising?") then this is a great site to browse.

The key to searching this way is to keep a list of restaurants that are consistently mentioned. If I noticed that a restaurant had positive reviews on message boards going back several years, I knew it was probably a safe bet. Those restaurants made it to the short list. After I developed that short list, I Googled the restaurant's name to see if I could find a main Web site, pictures, other published reviews, or a more detailed menu. Based on the results of a broad Google search, I then developed a final list.

Copyright © 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

We recently returned from a two week trip to Provence with a great group of friends.  Given that the local Rhone wines were about $3-$4 for a good bottle at the grocery stores and wine cooperatives, we drank great quantities of wine daily.  My question is, how was it that I was able to drink four or five glasses of wine every night with dinner and not be hung over in the morning?  A friend and I agreed that the only day we woke up with a headache was when we overindulged and had maybe seven glasses.

As a reference point, I only weigh a little over a hundred pounds and two glasses usually totally do me in.

That rose goes down like water, doesn't it?

Now that this has come back up, I have to say that I've noticed this phenomenon as well, not just in France but on many vacations that had one thing in common: no real structure.

My theory is that stress compounds the effect of the alcohol, that the extra hour (or 3) of sleep (because you can) and the lack of demands calm the brain and reduce that unfortunate narrowing of the capilliaries that makes the head throb. In addition, when you wake up thinking "maybe I'll just take a dip in the river" -- as opposed to waking up thinking "I have to have the presentation done by 10" -- it's a boatload easier to ignore any minor aches or pains.

I have no proof for this theory. However, I am willing to volunteer for a study, if we can get funding.

That rose goes down like water, doesn't it?

Now that this has come back up, I have to say that I've noticed this phenomenon as well, not just in France but on many vacations that had one thing in common: no real structure.

My theory is that stress compounds the effect of the alcohol, that the extra hour (or 3) of sleep (because you can) and the lack of demands calm the brain and reduce that unfortunate narrowing of the capilliaries that makes the head throb.  In addition, when you wake up thinking "maybe I'll just take a dip in the river" --  as opposed to waking up thinking "I have to have the presentation done by 10" -- it's a boatload easier to ignore any minor aches or pains.

I have no proof for this theory.  However, I am willing to volunteer for a study, if we can get funding.

You could try the two tablespoons of honey before bed and eliminate most hangovers during the workweek, as well. If you're not drinking like a frat boy, it usually works. I have to teach and I've never had to pull a George Costanza under my desk so far in seven years. And, I go out quite a bit mid week.

Thought this might be a good topic to update.

This week's Wall Street Journal wine column is on food and wine pairings while on vacation - specifically cruising. Y'all might enjoy seeing how the columnists' assistant researches restaurants...

But the truth is this site isn't a very good source for pairing wine on vacation (what is that anyway?). I'm sure so n' so is a alert and reading.

You could try the two tablespoons of honey before bed and eliminate most hangovers during the workweek, as well.  If you're not drinking like a frat boy, it usually works.  I have to teach and I've never had to pull a George Costanza under my desk so far in seven years.  And, I go out quite a bit mid week.

Why am I just learning about the honey hangover remedy? When you are living your 20s in your 30s, the honey remedy is critical <_< .

My theory is that stress compounds the effect of the alcohol, that the extra hour (or 3) of sleep (because you can) and the lack of demands calm the brain and reduce that unfortunate narrowing of the capilliaries that makes the head throb.  In addition, when you wake up thinking "maybe I'll just take a dip in the river" --  as opposed to waking up thinking "I have to have the presentation done by 10" -- it's a boatload easier to ignore any minor aches or pains.

Hmmmm ... interesting experiment ... drink scientifically determined quantity of rosé ... say, six bottles ... in Provence (have wife take notes of the effects the next day, if she is in a condition to do so) ... bring back same quantity to U.S. ... repeat procedure.

I don't think Science or Nature would publish the results. The Lancet, maybe.

Worker's Compensation Claim:

"job stress interferes with my drinking!" :)

You could try the two tablespoons of honey before bed and eliminate most hangovers during the workweek, as well.  If you're not drinking like a frat boy, it usually works.  I have to teach and I've never had to pull a George Costanza under my desk so far in seven years.  And, I go out quite a bit mid week.

Why am I just learning about the honey hangover remedy?  When you are living your 20s in your 30s, the honey remedy is critical :) .

I'm there with you Monique. Must check the cabinet to make sure the honey is there.

I just got back from a week of vacation that included 3-4 organic, tropical smoothies a day that often had a bit of a "kick" to them. I tried rum, vodka, some random Mexican liquere but didn't feel the effects that I would have if I had been drinking them here in DC. It's happened before-I call it the vacation effect.

I find the main thing is to head-off the diuretic effects by keeping hydrated before you turn in. That one week a year during which I subsist on vast quantities of homebrew, mead, infused vodka, Hurricanes and who-knows-what-else, I find it useful to end each evening by killing off a few blood-bags of Capri Sun, a Quaker chewy granola bar, and a couple of glasses of water. Honey alone has never done much for me. Your mileage may vary.

Hmmmm ... interesting experiment ... drink scientifically determined quantity of rosé ... say, six bottles ... in Provence (have wife take notes of the effects the next day, if she is in a condition to do so) ... bring back same quantity to U.S. ... repeat procedure.

I don't think Science or Nature would publish the results. The Lancet, maybe.

128298508615001250urtheoryhasme.jpg