Product Placement

DonRocks

The discerning viewer will also note that Starfleet makes use of them in their sickbays. And here I thought technology become obsolete so quickly...

post-1225-12582911583_thumb.jpg

(Hint: look to the left and right of the turbolift doors)

This is an example of what Jung would call synchronicity: I'd JUST noticed, during a viewing of Star Trek yesterday afternoon, the use of the dryers by JJ Abrams's prop department, and here we are now discussing them! Thrilling.

My life suddenly feels much sadder.

I think it's an example of what Harrison's Reports would call product placement.

Incidentally, I could write a book on product placement in DC restaurants and lounges that would make your skin crawl. Or, maybe I'll just start a thread right here, the problem being that it's extraordinarily difficult to prove that compensation (in the form of cash payment, discounted use of product, or both) occurs in private transactions between restaurants and advertisers. So let's just say that the bottle of Ferrari-Carano (watch the slide show until you get to the Surf & Turf) sitting there, plunged into the ice, right at eye-level, at the downtown Oceanaire's raw bar, is probably "just a coincidence."

Cheers,

Rocks.

They probably have Bavik on two of the taps because it's (relatively) cheap and appeals to people who don't really like the taste of beer all that much and thus is probably quite popular. My impression of the bar at Beck's is that it;s more of a scene and less of a place filled with people who really enjoy their beer (for contrast see Granville Moore's). To me, Bavik is just an alternative to Stella, or fllls in for Miller Lite for those folks who like that kind of thing. I guess I'd call it a starter beer (or a gateway beer!)

My point about Bavik is that since they're selling T-shirts (and since it's on two taps), it may be reasonable to assume there's some sort of sweetheart deal going on. Without knowing anything about Brasserie Beck specifically, there are many instances of "supplemented" product placement in bars around town. Go into any bar and look around - on the walls, on the bar, behind the bartenders, on the menu itself, in lists of ingredients - I know I'm probably stating the obvious to you, but many people immersed in that situation don't even realize they're being bombarded by paid advertisements. I had come from Duffy's Irish Pub earlier that evening and remember thinking to myself, 'Damn, there's a lot of PBR memorabilia here (to go along with the $3 cans).'

Cynic though I may be, I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with this. And I want to emphasize that other than my own conjecture, I have no reason to believe that either of these bars do this (and don't really care if they do).