It's the Beans, Coffee, That Is

weinoo

Intelligentsia: Chinatown Coffee on H St NW or SOVA on H St NE. G Street Food also carries it but not sure if retail.

Counter Culture: I get mine at Bolla, next to Old Ebbit Grill on G Street. It closes at 4pm though. The other stores where I used to buy CC have closed, so not sure. EDIT: Big Bear Cafe in Bloomingdale offers it too, for a more traditional coffeehouse setting.

ME Swing's: DC's oldest roasting operation. They are to coffee beans what Ben's is to chili. Trying to be subtle here . . .

EDIT: Sidamo roasts their own coffees, too, Ethiopean style. Cool spot.

There is an intriguing Bourbon that I liked on L Street, near that Eli's Gathering Place that you visited. High quality beans, but I had to ask for the fresh ones.

Sidamo roasts their own coffees, too, Ethiopean style. Cool spot.

Seconded. They roast their own beans daily. Go pick them up on a Sunday afternoon at 2:00 and watch the traditional Ethiopian Coffee ceremony they do weekly. As a bonus, you are supporting a local, family-run small business. How can you beat that?

Thanks for all the responses. For my first purchase of beans here in the district, and because I was sorta heading in that general direction, I stopped at SOVA, at 1359 H St. NE. I was delighted to find freshly roasted Stumptown beans (at least 4 varieties which had been roasted 3 days earlier) and had a nice converstion with the owner, whom I believe is Frank.

Says that they're the first place in DC to carry Stumptown beans, and plans on getting in freshly roasted beans on a weekly basis. Also in stock was at least one variety of Intellegentsia.

I'm sure that everyone knows this, even though I didn't - but driving on H St. is a bit like driving on the unpaved Baja. Lots of fun and excitement.

Thanks for all the responses. For my first purchase of beans here in the district, and because I was sorta heading in that general direction, I stopped at SOVA, at 1359 H St. NE. I was delighted to find freshly roasted Stumptown beans (at least 4 varieties which had been roasted 3 days earlier) and had a nice converstion with the owner, whom I believe is Frank.

Says that they're the first place in DC to carry Stumptown beans, and plans on getting in freshly roasted beans on a weekly basis. Also in stock was at least one variety of Intellegentsia.

I'm sure that everyone knows this, even though I didn't - but driving on H St. is a bit like driving on the unpaved Baja. Lots of fun and excitement.

Frank Hankins, the owner of Sova, is good people and has a real dedication to quality.

Though not in DC proper, Boccato Gelatos in Clarendon has Stumptown coffee beans for retail purchase.

Grape + Bean in Old Town has Counter Culture beans (and a Clover machine). They have a pretty good selection that rotates frequently. I don't drink much coffee, but when I do, I make the trip across the river for a cup from the Bean.

Peregrine Espresso on the Hill also has Counter Culture beans.

Cork Market on 14th just north of S carries Stumptown roasted beans....

Have you tried Fresh off the Roast? Petworth's own fresh roasted coffee! I know it's available at Qualia, on Georgia and Randolph.

http://www.freshofftheroast.com/qualia.html

I think their website has changed, and I never realized it was called Fresh Off the Roast before, always thought it was just Qualia coffee (but you're right, now I see it on the label). http://qualiacoffee.wordpress.com/

At any rate, just wanted to acknowledge that I have been very happy with their beans of late, and I bypass more convenient venues for me to go to Petworth. Often times the beans I get have been roasted that day, on the premises. As I type, I'm enjoying an excellent Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere, starts out light and teases acid, but finishes with a satisfying chocolate roundness.