Sufganiyot - Israeli Chanukah Donuts

KeithA

So while latkes are usually the food of choice in our house for Chanukah, last year a friend brought us delicious sufganiyot - donuts, usually jelly fiilled, which are the most popular israeli chanukah food. So now we have a hankering for some sweet chanukkah sufganiyot to balance the savory latkes. Anyone know of a good local place that sells sufganiyot around chanukah? While some people just buy regular jelly donuts, israeli versions are typically lighter and fluffier than your average american donut. Thanks.

I have never tried this myself, but my Israeli cousin has a "Semi Homemade a la Sandra Lee" method of making them which I remember being pretty tasty. However, it has easily been about 10 years since I last had them. She uses crescent roll dough in a tube and strawberry jam. She scoops melon baller size balls of jam onto a wax paper lined baking tray and gets them nearly frozen so they hold their shape. She wraps the crescent roll dough around the semi-solid jam balls, shapes it into a ball, and deep fries them in peanut oil until golden brown. Sprinkles with powedered sugar and serves warm.

To answer my own question - The Kosher Pastry Oven in Kemp Mill/Silver Spring is one of the best places in the area for sufganiyot - check out the Post article today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/10/AR2009121004167.html?hpid=artslot

I knew of this place, but was hoping to find something in NW DC and that was open on Saturday. So please do share if you know of any other bakeries that carry sufganiyot or even really good donuts. Everyone else who has time to trek to Kemp Mill should check out the Kosher Pastry Oven.

I knew of this place, but was hoping to find something in NW DC and that was open on Saturday. So please do share if you know of any other bakeries that carry sufganiyot or even really good donuts.
The last time I had a really good donut was at Milan's in Falls Church. I do not know if this is still the case, since that was 2yrs ago...People have been talking about MoCo donuts in Crystal City lately too....

Make a day of it! Take the Red Line to Silver Spring (or Wheaton) take the #9 Ride-on bus which follows Arcola Ave between the two stations. Or rent a Zip car. Or ask someone who lives in Kemp Mill and works in NW DC if they wouldn't mind picking up an order for you.:angry:

Reviving this old thread. So far this Hanukkah, we've had sufganiyot/donuts from Astro and Breadfurst (later in the week we are getting Call Your Mother). From Astro we got 6 varieties of donuts:

1. Jelly donut - very good. Nice cake, well-dusted with powdered sugar, and decent amount of jelly inside.

2. Smores - not good. Chocolate cake which was bitter, needed more sweetness, with rich chocolate glazes studded with graham pieces and a gooey toasted marshmallow in the center. This would have a been a rich delight except the actual donut was meh.

3. Red velvet - pretty good, not great. Probably wouldn't get again. Surprisingly, a plain cake donut covered in red sugar glaze and red velvet cake crumbs. Not sure why they didn't make the actual donut a red velvet or at least chocolate.

4. Hanukkah cookie - good. Vanilla cake donut with blue/white frosting swirl and a star sugar cookie on top.

5. Creme brulee - So so. Yeast donut filled with vanilla cream and the outside is glazed and torched a bit. Maybe best eaten right away when the glaze is more freshly cooked. I liked it but others did not.

6. Vanilla glaze - Good. yeast donut with standard glaze.

All of their donuts are rather large so great if you want to cut a piece and share. We got 2 of each and would have been fine with half of that.

Breadfurst - only make raspberry jam filled cake donuts. They didn't look great as they were a bit misshapen and the powdered sugar had melted into the donut. But adding a fresh dusting of powdered sugar made them beautiful again. Most importantly these tasted great. Technically they were really cool too. They managed to get the delicious fresh jam to cover the whole top of the donut (still under a layer of dough) - a bit hard to describe but the key is that every signal bite of donut had a bite of jam and cake. Easily beat the jelly from Astro.

• Like 1

We ended up trying two additional sufganiyot during Hanukkah. Call Your Mother raspberry-guava jelly filled and Dunkin Donut's jelly donuts. CYM were huge - almost the side of 2 donuts each and very nice fresh cake with good coating of powdered sugar all around. The jelly was sweet but not too sweet and tasted homemade. Overall a great option. I may have liked them the best, but my wife convinced me that Breadfurst was better as their unique method of getting the jelly across the whole top (still inside the donut though) whereby you got jelly in every bite. DD were not good. Tasted of sugar with crappy jelly and cake donut was a bit stale. Avoid those. So the overall rankings:

1. Breadfurst

Close 2. Call Your Mother

3. Astro

Zero - Dunkin' Donuts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, squidsdc said:

You missed out on Kosher Pastry Oven in Kemp Mill. Freshly made, simple, raspberry filled, very light and lightly dusted with sugar. Would have loved to know how they compared to your other tastings!

We didn't get them this year because it is a bit of schlep from DC to Kemp Mill, but I agree I've had them a few times over the year and always enjoyed Kosher Pastry Oven's sufganiyot. Next year, we'll have to compare.

• Like 1