Ethnic Diners in Ethnic Restaurants

porcupine

OK, but even so, would you necessarily trust my opinion of Lithuanian food if I said I'm part Lithuanian? This is a classic example of argumentum ad hominem.

:angry:

Yours pedantically,

I'm never sure how much credibility to give to that kind of connection. It seems like it must have some significance, but I can't really see it as being definitive. I suppose I'd rather go into an ethnic restaurant if it were obvious that a lot of people of that ethnicity were eating there than if that were not the case, but I could follow that lead and get a bad meal.

I'm never sure how much credibility to give to that kind of connection. It seems like it must have some significance, but I can't really see it as being definitive. I suppose I'd rather go into an ethnic restaurant if it were obvious that a lot of people of that ethnicity were eating there than if that were not the case, but I could follow that lead and get a bad meal.

As a general guide that's probably useful. I used to follow a rule when traveling: look for where the locals are eating and eat there. Then a friend pointed out that a visitor following that rule in Dupont Circle would end up at Lauriol Plaza. :angry:

As a general guide that's probably useful. I used to follow a rule when traveling: look for where the locals are eating and eat there. Then a friend pointed out that a visitor following that rule in Dupont Circle would end up at Lauriol Plaza. :angry:

Locals, especially in flyover country, will always guide you to whatever loathsome chain has recently established itself. They think they're impressing you with their sophistication when, rather than the new restaurant at the Omni, you want real food by indigenous cooks. This is one reason why eating in the back country sucks.

Regarding ethnics: I went to a place in New York's Chinatown called Tang's. Not only was a buddy back in 5th grade named Joey Tang, but it had fish tanks full of fish and an entire dining room full of ethnic Chinese; it seemed as though I was destined to eat there. It was possibly the worst Chinese food I've ever eaten. Apparently, just as Euro-Americans can eat wildly crappy food that reminds them vaguely of their ethnic roots, so do Chinese-Americans.

As to Lauriol Plaza, I don't think that any Latins eat there who are not on their shift meal. And how many Greeks are at Komi on any given night?

Don't trust anyone, prepare to be disappointed and drink heavily.

Not everyone is a foodie so Waitman is quite right - there are plenty of people of whatever ethnicity that eat shit and like it. But given two foodies, one is of the applicable ethnic group, I'd be hard pressed not to give that person more credence for authenticity. More importantly, I think people of different culture have different palates, and you're better off following one who shares your palate.

Locals, especially in flyover country, will always guide you to whatever loathsome chain has recently established itself. They think they're impressing you with their sophistication when, rather than the new restaurant at the Omni, you want real food by indigenous cooks. This is one reason why eating in the back country sucks.

Don't trust anyone, prepare to be disappointed and drink heavily.

I live in "flyover country." And yes, that is the advice you typically get from the locals, who usually have no clue as to what constitutes good food. Unfortunately, the "real food by indigenous cooks" is, for the most part, even worse. We ate last evening in a certain local place for the first time. It was execrable. The best two places in my town are one presided over by a woman of Indonesian origin, wife of a local dentist, whose son is the cook and does new wave American things with an Asian twist--the other is owned by a real chef trained at the Greenbrier. So much for local. YMMV.

Drinking heavily helps.