Rasika's Jarred Sauces

baczkowski

A few weeks ago I found jars of Rasika brand sauces. Intrigued, I picked one up and turned the label to see that it was jarred in D.C. I bought all three--Makhani, Kashmiri, and Goan Curries--and have made all three at home. Each jar has simple preparations suggestions for each sauce. When I used the goan, I followed the suggestions on the jar exactly and used shrimp. Pretty good but not my favorite. For the other two I combined the jar suggestions plus some internet recipe ideas for even better results. We've really enjoyed them and will certainly keep a jar of the Makhani and Kashmiri in our pantry. It's been too long since we've been to Rasika to really compare them to what you get at the restaurant, but I find these sauces to be excellent bases/shortcuts for the home cook's forays into Indian food.

I found the sauces at both Whole Foods and Giant, and surprisingly WF was cheaper ($6 vs. $8). Neither is cheap, but it's certainly cheaper and more convenient than heading to Penn Quarter.

Pax,

Brian

P.S. After searching I didn't see this posted anywhere, but please merge this if I missed something.

I found the sauces at both Whole Foods and Giant, and surprisingly WF was cheaper ($6 vs. $8). Neither is cheap, but it's certainly cheaper and more convenient than heading to Penn Quarter.

Which Whole Foods? One would think that the P Street location (i.e., the one closest to Rasika) sells them but we couldn't find any on the shelves yesterday.

Which Whole Foods? One would think that the P Street location (i.e., the one closest to Rasika) sells them but we couldn't find any on the shelves yesterday.

If you want to get the Rasika sauces at the Giant on Rockville Pike and Montrose Road, they are on the far endcap of the pasta/sauce/Italian aisle. Near the deli, if that helps. It took some looking to find them.

Rob

If you want to get the Rasika sauces at the Giant on Rockville Pike and Montrose Road, they are on the far endcap of the pasta/sauce/Italian aisle. Near the deli, if that helps. It took some looking to find them.

I misread your post to be discussing the Whole Foods in Rockville and ended up going there. Looked around the pasta/sauce aisle and found nothing, got all confused, but ended up asking the customer service folks -- they directed me to the Indian foods aisle and I found them on one of the lower shelves! Makes me wonder if I looked carefully enough at the P Street location. Thanks anyway!

They do sell them at the P Street location (or at least they did circa August 2009). They may not always have them in stock, as it was hit or miss for me as well there for a while. But they're in the spot you'd expect, in that ethnic foods aisle by the other Indian stuff.