2006 Groth Reserve

Joe H

The 1985 Groth Reserve was the first California cab that Parker gave 100 points to. This was a seriously allocated wine that never made it on a shelf in the D. C. area. The few bottles that were available went to restaurants and better customers of selected wine shops. Someone actually told me, fifteen or so years ago, that Calvert Woodley had something of a monopoly and received almost all of the bottles that D. C. was eligible for. All went to regular customers. I have no idea if this was true or not.

But I got one. Then, and now, I continue to believe that the '85 Groth Reserve is the single best California cabernet that I have ever tasted. Perhaps second was the '85 Caymus Special Select. Still, the '85 Groth Reserve was incredible!

Right now several Costcos have 2006 Groth Reserve for $89.95 which, yes, is a ridiculously high price for a wine. Please note that the list on this is $150. It is worth $150. At $89.95 it is the steal of the year and perhaps almost as good as the '85. Apparently very little upper end wine is selling and Groth does not have the name it once did. Certainly not a bottle that a wine shop holds for a best customer or a friend. Rather it ends up at Costco. For people like me who are looking for ONE special bottle...

I understand that Groth went downhill and the Reserves were discontinued for a number of years. That '05 was the first year in a while. But based on two nights' tasting of two different bottles with friends and neighbors I honestly believe that the '06 Groth Reserve is as good of a California cab as I have tasted in years. Certainly since the '85. This is a bottle for that "once a year" bottle. One that absolutely MUST be truly special.

And it is. It IS worth the investment.

Thanks for the tip. My husband purchased a bottle today at Pentagon City Costco. (I sent him your post and the next thing you know he wants to go to Costco!)

Thanks, Al the Pal. When you open it give it at least 60 minutes before you try it. If you can it will benefit from decanting. I'm guessing that several years from now it will drink entirely different from what it will now-even with an hour or more to open. Still, it is absolutely delicious today. Thanks for trying it.

Thanks, Al the Pal. When you open it give it at least 60 minutes before you try it. If you can it will benefit from decanting. I'm guessing that several years from now it will drink entirely different from what it will now-even with an hour or more to open. Still, it is absolutely delicious today. Thanks for trying it.

The new issue of the Wine Spectator's cover story is about the price break on wine apparantly at all levels. It's not just Groth Reserve but also Caymus Special Selection around the same price and wines like Simi Landslide '05 which is a $45 wine that Costco has for $25. The WS also notes $20 bottles going for half. Interesting times.

The new issue of the Wine Spectator's cover story is about the price break on wine apparantly at all levels. It's not just Groth Reserve but also Caymus Special Selection around the same price and wines like Simi Landslide '05 which is a $45 wine that Costco has for $25. The WS also notes $20 bottles going for half. Interesting times.

I've seen the Simi Landslide '05 for $25 at Montgomery County Liquor Stores.

We purchased this bottle at Costco at Joe H's suggestion a while back and just had the bottle tonight with dinner. Everyone really enjoyed it (well, I'm not a wine drinker but everyone else enjoyed it!) My husband wants more!!! He thinks he can go to Costco and buy more. I doubt its still there but whatever. He can dream!

thanks to Joe H for the tip. My family thought it was a real winner.