Mocha Hut, U-Street Corridor and Petworth - Closed

So I want to put a small plug here for a place on U Street Called Mocha Hut. My boyfriend and I walked down there Saturday for coffee, and ended up with a great suprise....

The lunch special was gumbo, and then shrimp and grits. Yummmmmmmmmm......

Ok, so gumbo, loaded with tender chicken and ham, veggies, and topped with an awesome square of corn bread loaded with fresh corn. The texture was soft, creamy, and absolutely scrumptious! Shrimp and grits came with 4 large butterflied pieces of shrimp atop what had to be the creamiest, cheesiest, most delicious grits I have ever had.

I tell you what - the coffee is always awesome at Mocha Hut, but on the weekends if you want a really nice, hearty, delicous (and affordable) meal - go!

So I want to put a small plug here for a place on U Street Called Mocha Hut.  My boyfriend and I walked down there Saturday for coffee, and ended up with a great suprise....

The lunch special was gumbo, and then shrimp and grits.  Yummmmmmmmmm......

Ok, so gumbo, loaded with tender chicken and ham, veggies, and topped with an awesome square of corn bread loaded with fresh corn.  The texture was soft, creamy, and absolutely scrumptious!  Shrimp and grits came with 4 large butterflied pieces of shrimp atop what had to be the creamiest, cheesiest, most delicious grits I have ever had.

I tell you what - the coffee is always awesome at Mocha Hut, but on the weekends if you want a really nice, hearty, delicous (and affordable) meal - go!

Wait. Did Mocha hut move? or expand? I used to live at 13th and Emerson and they were up across from the bus station on 14th at Decatur. Is this still owned by George and his wife Audrey?

The U Street location is their second. I love that they serve breakfast all day (mmm, pecan waffles) and the coffee's pretty good, but if they're the slightest bit crowded it can take 10 or more minutes to get your drink. It's a great little space though.

The U Street location is their second. I love that they serve breakfast all day (mmm, pecan waffles) and the coffee's pretty good, but if they're the slightest bit crowded it can take 10 or more minutes to get your drink. It's a great little space though.

Good for them. I always thought they were a great addition to the community. Audry worked really hard to get some of the city's development money for actual community initiatives instead of the usual "orporate tax break, screw the citizens" policy I found so very frustrating in areas like Petworth and 16th Street Heights.

BTW, they were slow even if they weren't the slightest bit busy at the 14th and Decatur location, but then again, you went if you wanted to have a leisurely snack. Sadly the deli two doors down didn't make it a year.

Great coffee, but what's the dilio with the advertisement on the thermal insulation sleeve?

Your choices are:

1) Burn your hand.

2) Walk around town carrying a picture of a bright-red 2006 Dodge Charger. Incidentally, the car is black when you're handed the insulation sleeve; it turns bright red from the heat of the coffee.

Great coffee, but what's the dilio with the advertisement on the thermal insulation sleeve?

Those are free sleeves that these marketing companies offer to various businesses. Indie/mom&pop shops who aren't concerned with branding usually love using them... those sleeves can add up $$$ :lol: .