Terrifying Attempts to Improve Popular Foods

DanCole42

I think the US government was way ahead of the Japanese on the tube-egg thing. Distressingly uniform egg slices topped salads in the cafeteria at the government hospital where my mother used to work. I don't think she ate them. The Japanese take on sandwiches is something entirely different. . .

Yum! :)

I do love buying food souvenirs whenever I'm in a different country/cultural area, if only just to go to the supermarket and check out what they have that might be different from what I'm used to seeing.

Something I love that they have in Europe but not here: chocolate pudding-filled croissants in a bag. I don't know the chemicals or preservatives needed to keep it fresh for however many months inside that bag, but it tastes delicious.

Yum! :)

I do love buying food souvenirs whenever I'm in a different country/cultural area, if only just to go to the supermarket and check out what they have that might be different from what I'm used to seeing.

Something I love that they have in Europe but not here: chocolate pudding-filled croissants in a bag. I don't know the chemicals or preservatives needed to keep it fresh for however many months inside that bag, but it tastes delicious.

That's one of my favorite things about Japan. The black sesame covered mochi are to die for, and the candied sweet potato flavored Kit Kats are just. . . random. And I don't know how it gets any better than the monthly variations on McVitie's Digestive Biscuits (Valencia orange! Chocolate cookie/banana cream sandwiches! Salt and chocolate!).

Re: your last point. Did the croissants have a chemical package in them? In Japan, things like that almost always had the preservatives in a ~1-1/2" x 1-1/2" flat square stuck in the packaging, rather than in the pastry itself.