Haus Alpenz

OOOooohhh. I want some of that apricot eau de vie, too. Or the apricot liqueur. Does the pine liqueur have the aroma of balsam, or the warm sweet pine you smell in the woods in the late Spring? (Yayy.) Or is it eau de Pinesol? (Boo.) Very intriguing, nonetheless. That Indonesian Arrack is quite interesting as well. It would be fascinating to recreate some of that Punch described in the text--Jonathan's great-grandfather was Dutch, and was an M.D. to the Dutch colonial community living on a coffee plantation in Java during the 1880's and 1890's. His grandmother, born in Java in 1891, bequeathed us a number of textiles that had been collected by her mother and aunts. We could taste a flashback to his ancestral culinary heritage.

OOOooohhh. I want some of that apricot eau de vie, too. Or the apricot liqueur. Does the pine liqueur have the aroma of balsam, or the warm sweet pine you smell in the woods in the late Spring? (Yayy.) Or is it eau de Pinesol? (Boo.) Very intriguing, nonetheless. That Indonesian Arrack is quite interesting as well. It would be fascinating to recreate some of that Punch described in the text--Jonathan's great-grandfather was Dutch, and was an M.D. to the Dutch colonial community living on a coffee plantation in Java during the 1880's and 1890's. His grandmother, born in Java in 1891, bequeathed us a number of textiles that had been collected by her mother and aunts. We could taste a flashback to his ancestral culinary heritage.

The pine liqueur is pretty strong stuff (both alcohol burn and flavor). I tried it straight, and it definitely would benefit from usage in small doses, in a cocktail. A fellow taster said it reminded him of hops.

The apricot was delicious, and I prefered the "orchard" line of the pear/apricot stuff, at least for drinking straight. The eau-de-vie strength ones were just a bit much straight, as with the pine. They would be great as an aroma note in a cocktail, though.

All of the Haus Alpenz products that I've ordered are now here. Unleash the hounds! :mellow:

Joe forgot to mention that he also got in the Henri Bardouin Pastis, which is to Pernod what Montrachet Grand Cru is to Kendall-Jackson Reserve. It is anise, yes, but more like fennel than licorice, also flowers, mellow spices, a hint of vanilla. Very smooth, even drunk neat. Absolutely delicious and a genuine bargain, compared to many high-end European cordials.