Microbrews in Cans

TedE

I had this the other day, and it is indeed a very strange experience to taste such a good beer from a can. Are there any other (good) breweries besides Oskar Blues that are canning?

Sly Fox just west of Philly cans their beers. I remember hearing about another Mid-Atlantic brewery that had planned on canning, but can't remember who it was. Sly Fox and Oskar are the only two I know of that are available in this area if you don't count the numerous European beers available in cans. There are some really good canned English ales that we can't get on these shores.

I remember hearing about another Mid-Atlantic brewery that had planned on canning, but can't remember who it was.

New England Brewing Company, mayhaps? They are available in NoVa and are quite tasty. The Elm City Lager is nice and delicate.

New England Brewing Company, mayhaps? They are available in NoVa and are quite tasty. The Elm City Lager is nice and delicate.

No, it was another local-ish brewery. Maybe Flying Fish? I'll have to go back through my dcbeer emails. If I recall the upfront costs to set up an on site canning system was prohibitive, something about minimum can orders from manufacturers. In fact I believe Oskar outsources the canning to another firm; Sly Fox does their own.

EDIT: I was remembering wrong; it's actually significantly cheaper to set up a new canning line than a bottling line. Now I wish more micros would get in on the action!

With my recent quests for micros-in-a-can for summertime enjoyment I stumbled across 21st Amendment brewery out of San Francisco. First spotted up in PA, but found some in DC this week (at P St WF and De Vino's at least). Their IPA is better than average, but I was highly skeptical about the Watermelon Wheat beer. It is actually pretty damn good. You get a good dose of the watermelon in the nose and on the first sips, but it disappears into the background by the end of the can. Still a nice summer refresher.

Butternut Pork Slap Ale is still the canned micro champion in my book.