Allagash Brewing Company

porcupine

Hennepin on draft is delicious stuff, but aside from that I think Allagash trumps Ommegang in just about every way for US Belgian-style brewing. A couple of years ago there was (to my palette at least) a dip in the quality of Allagash White, but based on a draft I had last month it's back up. And their smaller run beers are always right on. Just wish it was as easy to find their Double as their Triple.

Hmmm, a direct comparison of Ommegang and Allegash is in order, then. After a friend [hi, Dave!] brought me a case of Ommegang Witte, I was surprised to discover the variation in quality from bottle to bottle. The good ones I liked better than Allagash, though.

I'm pretty sure I saw the Allagash Double at that store on upper Conn Ave about a month ago.

Hoegaarden's been increasingly available in the US over the last 10 years or so, in this area it's pretty common for places to get the tap package with Stella, Hoegaarden, and Leffe (all owned by Interbrew).

You might also like the pretty widely available Allagash White, other less common ones worth seeking out are Vuuve, Blanc de Bruges, Wittekerke, and Dentergem (which was briefly on tap at Saint-Ex last year).

Love Allagash White, thanks for the other recs, I will definately keep an eye out for them.

Do you know of anyplace that has great food and serves Allagash White on draft in iced glasses, so cold that there are shards of ice in the beer? I'll be sure to order it, if I go on a hot summer afternoon.
I'm not so sure about the shards of ice, but both Tallula & Vermilion have Allagash White on tap, and to be completely self-serving, the food at both places is very good right now! Salud!

I picked up the 750 of Allagash Curieux at Whole Foods the other day and really really liked it. The beer is aged in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks before bottling, which gives it very nice bourbon/vanilla undertones on the palette. Pricey at $16 a pop, but it'll be hard to not pick one of these up each time I go back.

They have Allagash Black by the 750 at the Birreria right now, and while I'm not usually one to order a stout after a meal, this is an excellent beer with shockingly little bitterness and nice caramel and coffee undertones. It totally outshone the Red Rocket Ale that I opened with, which was impressive because I really enjoyed my glass. My companion got a beer that the bar manager and one of the waiters had actually driven a U-Haul to Indiana to pick up that was outstanding, although the name escapes me right now (the one at the bottom of the small production list, if you go).

Awesome to see how committed this place is to getting the hard-to-find stuff while keeping a lot of the standbys readily available on draft and in the bottle.

Picked up a 4 pack of Allagash Dubbel at Whole Foods for $8.99 a few weeks back, and was pretty disappointed. I wasn't a big fan of Allagash White when I tried it, and had hoped a darker brew would be more satisfying (I lean toward them anyway), but compared to other Dubbels I've had, this one just lacked complexity, and tasted rather watery to me. For the 50 cents more per bottle, I'd take Ommegang's Abbey Ale any day.