1995 Samuel Adams Triple Bock

DanielK

I just found a 1994 Samichlaus and 1995 Samuel Adams Triple Bock in the back of the cabinet. Anyone know if these are good to drink, or better to pour down the sink?

It would be sad to pour those fine brews down the sink, wouldn't it? Give them to me. Let me save you the heartache and I'll take care of it for you. :)

It would be sad to pour those fine brews down the sink, wouldn't it? Give them to me. Let me save you the heartache and I'll take care of it for you. :)

Option 1: I'll fight CrescentFresh for them.

Option 2: Just bring them on thursday and all will be forgiven.

For the record, a '94 samichlaus is probably just as drinkable as an '04 samichlaus: the syrupyness probably hasn't lost anything noticable by my humble palate.

And I've never had the triple bock but I assume anything that claims 17.5% will age quite well, even in the cabinet. And even if it's brewed by Sam Adams (they make some damn fine seasonals, but that Lager....</shudder>)

We opened the 95 Samuel Adams Triple Bock last night at the Circle Bistro dinner.

That was a stunning drink. Very complex. When we first opened the bottle, the nose was all plum. It definitely smelled like it was going to be syrupy.

That faded off somewhat. Once it had a chance to settle in the glass, the syrupy sweetness mostly faded. The initial nose was very chocolatey, but gave way to plum and some surprising spiciness. It definitely lingered on the palate, and was really meant for sipping like port.

I don't remember the ones I drank in 96/97 being nearly this complex. They were strong and sweet, but nothing like this. If they're still brewing this, get some and put it aside for aging.

We opened the 95 Samuel Adams Triple Bock last night at the Circle Bistro dinner.

That was a stunning drink. Very complex. When we first opened the bottle, the nose was all plum. It definitely smelled like it was going to be syrupy.

That faded off somewhat. Once it had a chance to settle in the glass, the syrupy sweetness mostly faded. The initial nose was very chocolatey, but gave way to plum and some surprising spiciness. It definitely lingered on the palate, and was really meant for sipping like port.

I don't remember the ones I drank in 96/97 being nearly this complex. They were strong and sweet, but nothing like this. If they're still brewing this, get some and put it aside for aging.

My notes on ratebeer for this beer: "Aroma from the bottle is all caramel. Aroma from the glass is chocolate, hint of soy, some spice. The flavor evolves as it warms up, going from figs to a true port wine back to chocolate and settling with a little flavor i like to call "happiness". Just simply fantastic."

Thanks again to you for bringing this...it was a treat. Sadly, it was only made in '94, '95, and '97, so no chance to find any recently brewed.