Smuttynose Brewery

MelGold

Smuttynose Brewery's Head Brewer is going to be the special guest at a beer dinner October 10th at Tallula in Arlington. Rustico's co-sponsoring the event...

I so wish I could go to this. Dang choir practice....

Smuttynose is probably one of the most undersung breweries of the East Coast. Their IPA ranks among my favorites and their Big Bottle Series present some great beers at even greater prices. Seek out their Imperial Stout.

I so wish I could go to this. Dang choir practice....

Smuttynose is probably one of the most undersung breweries of the East Coast. Their IPA ranks among my favorites and their Big Bottle Series present some great beers at even greater prices. Seek out their Imperial Stout.

Welcome, ManekiNeko! Don't worry about missing the dinner...Rustico's doing a Smuttynose Pint Night later this month on Wednesday the 25th in the bar. Maybe you can make that one!

Welcome, ManekiNeko! Don't worry about missing the dinner...Rustico's doing a Smuttynose Pint Night later this month on Wednesday the 25th in the bar. Maybe you can make that one!

I've been meaning to make it out to Rustico anyways, now I have an excuse! 'Bout time I check out one of NoVA's better beer bars.

I assume this means logoed pint glasses will be given out, correct?

Picked up Smuttynose's Hanami Ale on a whim at Arrowine last night, mostly because the label is so dang kawai >^o^<. Brewed for springtime, this is obviously the perfect beer for the Cherry Blossom Festival. Why no local brewers thought of something like this earlier is beyond me.

It's basically a Belgian-style pale ale with cherry juice added to it. Don't serve it too cold or there's an overly tannic, almost metallic twang on the first sip. Otherwise, there's a lovely tart cherry flavor (I'm talking real cherry flavor here, not Luden's cough drops) balanced by a beer something not quite unlike a weaker (in abv) Delirium Tremens. Crisp and refreshing, but with enough oomph to it that it should take the edge off a crisp spring afternoon (or morning if you're a lush).

ETA: forgot which store I bought the beer at. ~$9 a 6-pack

We just picked up that Smuttynose Hanami today.

We also just got in the Dogfish Head "Red & White" (in 1 pint, 9.6fl. oz. bottles). It is, "Malt beverage brewed with coriander & orange peel with pinot noir juice concentrate added with 11% aged in pinot noir barrels and 89% aged on oak barrel staves".

Other new beer additions this week are the Sam Adams White Ale, the Ringwood "Old Thumper" and Reisdorf Kölsch.

Our allocation of Bells "Hop Slam" came and went, but we hope to try and get more when/if we can.