Non-Dairy Frosting

goodeats

Has anyone worked with goat or sheep cream cheese? Gelittleman's birthday is coming up and I wanted to make a dairy-free frosting (dairy allergies in his class) for his preschool class (*sniffle*). Is the taste too strong? Are there better alternatives? Have you all seen non-dairy cream cheese sold anywhere? Thanks!

Has anyone worked with goat or sheep cream cheese? Gelittleman's birthday is coming up and I wanted to make a dairy-free frosting (dairy allergies in his class) for his preschool class (*sniffle*). Is the taste too strong? Are there better alternatives? Have you all seen non-dairy cream cheese sold anywhere? Thanks!

Tofutti makes non-dairy "cream cheese"--I've seen it at Harris Teeter and most of the big chains. I've never tried it, though, so I'm not sure how good it tastes and/or if it will whip up well for a frosting.

Good luck! :(

I haven't tried that but I would check with the allergic classmates parents to make sure that sheep or goat works. It would be very sad to have lept through all those hoops and the classmates still not being able to eat the treat.

Could you go in a marshmallow fluff direction*?

*I think I'm going to start using that question a lot in random conversations and see what happens...

I've made a ganache frosting with soy cream to work around a dairy issue. If that is too intense for the preschoolers, you can whip it so it is lighter and meets their expectations for fluffy frosting. Or what about a vanilla cake with chocolate drizzles?