Terrines

chomer

I was at Hank's last Friday for some clams and oysters. Our waitress described the salmon terrine so hubby and I ordered one to split. It was really, really good. So, anytime we have something that makes us both say mmm, he asks me if I can make it. Anyone tried making a salmon terrine? I searched my recipe books but only came up with duck liver or other organ meats, no salmon. It was served with capers and a preserved lemon sauce (which is my husbands speciality, lemons that is). Thanks for any ideas!

I was at Hank's last Friday for some clams and oysters.  Our waitress described the salmon terrine so hubby and I ordered one to split.  It was really, really good.  So, anytime we have something that makes us both say mmm, he asks me if I can make it.  Anyone tried making a salmon terrine?  I searched my recipe books but only came up with duck liver or other organ meats, no salmon.  It was served with capers and a preserved lemon sauce (which is my husbands speciality, lemons that is).  Thanks for any ideas!

Julia Child (who else?) has a recipe in her "Menu Cookbook" that calls for a mousse of fish and scallops. This is layered in a terrine with a layer of salmon mousse and a layer of watercress mousse and then cooked. No, I have never made it . . . this makes quite a lot . . . but it sure sounds and looks good.

You might also do a search on Epicurious.

Julia Child (who else?) has a recipe in her "Menu Cookbook" that calls for a mousse of fish and scallops.  This is layered in a terrine with a layer of salmon mousse and a layer of watercress mousse and then cooked.  No, I have never made it . . . this makes quite a lot . . . but it sure sounds and looks good.

You might also do a search on Epicurious.

I did search epicurious but didn't find what I was looking for. Julia's recipe sounds great, but the one at Hank's was more mousse-like, no layers. I think it had sweet red peppers in it.

I did search epicurious but didn't find what I was looking for.  Julia's recipe sounds great, but the one at Hank's was more mousse-like, no layers.  I think it had sweet red peppers in it.

If the chef will at least tell you (or if some Rockwellian going there would ask--hint, hint) what's in it, I'll bet you could figure this out, using the basic steps (if not the same ingredients) that Julia suggests.