Florida Stone Crab

IlanaKS

I haven't had any in over 2 years and don't want to pay the high shipping cost. I'd prefer a market that sells them but will go to a restaurant, everywhere I look seems to normally have them but they aren't listed in the menu. Please help!!!

Every so often, Harris Teeter has stone crab claws. They have been quite good in my estimation (purchased when they 1st appear)very sweet and meaty. I am rather picky about stone crabs, I grew up a stone crab claw throw away from Joe's in Miami Beach. They were a mainstay of my adolescent diet any my beloved Dad still sends them to me on occasion.

Jonah's claws suck. I have heard, though never verified, that all stone crab (like most shrimp) is actually frozen. Any one have the inside knowledge on this?

I have heard, though never verified, that all stone crab (like most shrimp) is actually frozen. Any one have the inside knowledge on this?

Fresh is a relative term when it comes to stone crabs. Claws are cooked immediately after harvest. This keeps the meat from deteriorating or sticking to the shell. They are then sold either "fresh" (cooked but never frozen) or frozen.