Food Wars, Premiers March 9 on Travel Channel

ol_ironstomach

This sound promising: travel to a different city famous for a particular dish, and get two top rivals to go head-to-head in a blind taste test. I haven't seen a list of episodes yet, but if you pick through the photo captions, it sounds like season one will read like a foodie's roadtrip wishlist.

Philly cheesesteaks, Lockhart BBQ (Kreuz Market vs Smitty's), Chicago Italian beef sandwiches (Al's Beef vs. Mr. Beef), Kansas fried chicken (Annie's vs. Mary's), and Buffalo wings (Duff's vs. Anchor Bar).

gubeen and I were discussing earlier today how Travel Channel seems to be getting great bang-for-the-buck out of their food programming. The host seems to be a lightweight, but if the show even comes close to delivering on its concept, this could be pretty entertaining.

Website here: http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Food_Wars

I'm immediately skeptical, because for the DC episode, they are doing the Jumbo Slice.

Yeah, that's particularly lame, but I can't really blame them for DC's lack of an established signature dish. There's the half-smoke. But we're still short on long-simmering rivalries.

What and who would you pick for a DC showdown? Personally, I think they should have skipped us and headed straight to the Eastern Shore.

What and who would you pick for a DC showdown? Personally, I think they should have skipped us and headed straight to the Eastern Shore.

Yeah, I guess crab cakes are more of a Maryland thing.

However, many associate top-notch steak houses w politicos and power. That would be fun.

Or Peruvian chicken.

Yeah, that's particularly lame, but I can't really blame them for DC's lack of an established signature dish. There's the half-smoke. But we're still short on long-simmering rivalries.

Not for the lack of trying on my part, or of the WaPo magazine. But unfortunately, my idea didn't take, not that I or anybody thought it would.

But if Travel Channel wants to rethink it I'd happily come back to town and have a face-off with Ben's. Not just on the half-smoke but on the chili too, since speaking of lame I personally think theirs is. JMHO

Saw the DC jumbo slice war. Oy is it lame. One of the judges is someone who just moved to DC and never had either pizza. Another judge is D-list "celebrity chef" Carla Hall - way to milk it Carla. And the there's the product. Has anyone had a craving for either pizza? I've never had either and this is the only time that I've never wanted to try the food of either contestant.

Saw the DC jumbo slice war. Oy is it lame. One of the judges is someone who just moved to DC and never had either pizza. Another judge is D-list "celebrity chef" Carla Hall - way to milk it Carla. And the there's the product. Has anyone had a craving for either pizza? I've never had either and this is the only time that I've never wanted to try the food of either contestant.

I have to admit a certain fondness for Pizza Mart pizza. Is it 2 Amy's? of course not, but sometimes it's pretty tasty.

Did anyone else watch the Philly Cheesesteak episode? It was Pat's vs. Tony Luke's. I was waiting for the superfans to choke on their words because I honestly don't think there's much difference between Pat's and other joints that use the same meat and cheese whiz. Lo and behold, they didn't have super fans and 3 judges. Instead, it was just 2 judges and they weren't even blind folded. WTF!!!!!!!! LAME!!!! Pat's won - not my favorite but the reason why I like Jim's is because they're on South St and they serve beer! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference btwn Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, Chink's, or Chubby's blindfolded (haven't had Tony Luke's).

Same judging in the Chicago deep dish contest btwn Lou Malnati's and Uno. I don't know any self-respecting Chicagoan who would say Uno is the best deep dish, some might say Due but I've heard just as many praise Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, or Giordano's. Personally I like Lou Malnati's and Giordano's (but I haven't done Due yet). The decision was unanimous - for Lou Malnati's.

Same judging in the Chicago deep dish contest btwn Lou Malnati's and Uno. I don't know any self-respecting Chicagoan who would say Uno is the best deep dish, some might say Due but I've heard just as many praise Lou Malnati's [sic], Gino's East, or Giordano's. Personally I like Lou Malnati's and Giordano's (but I haven't done Due yet). The decision was unanimous - for Lou Malnati's.

Any self-respecting Chicagoan would say Pizzeria Uno serves one of the best deep dishes, but only if they try the original location. Due is really good--I'd say on par with a good Lou Malnati's and is on my list better than Gino's East, but I have not tried the original Gino's, as that is where people say is the best. On any given day, Giordano's is consistent, except for the Hyde Park location. I really miss Due, actually. Eric - you do realize that Due is the same owner as Uno, right?

...but I have not tried the original Gino's, as that is where people say is the best.

The assortment of pies we had at the original Gino's were some of the worst pizzas I have ever had. I am admittedly not a fan of Chicago style deep dish, but that really played no role in how I felt about what was prepared. Take for example the disaster that was the sausage pizza, starting from the top, the parmesan was barely visible and provided no flavor or seasoning to the dish, the sauce provided only a watery bitterness with no tomato flavor, the cheese was rubbery and again flavorless, and finally the sausage became a large slab of flavorless boiled meat. I will mention that the crust was by far the best part of this pizza, and I found myself picking at it to get some form of sustenance. Culinarily speaking, that night was a complete train wreck.