Pioneer Pit Beef

I'm surprised that there has not been a separate topic made for this wonderful Pit beef establishment, if there has, please move it appropriately.

I happened upon Pioneer (after reading a bit about it) today as I was traveling up to a farm up north of Baltimore. First of all, god love it, it is a wood shack by I-70. These are the kind of places I feel are sorely lacking in the DC Metro area. By ambiance alone I was happy. On top of that, I can definitely say from my limited experience, Pioneer is the best pit beef I have had. The "super" is a ton of freshly sliced well seasoned beef (top round). I order it rare, with onions and horseradish. It was heavenly.

I think my favorite thing is that it is very near a major north way corridor (695), I know where I'm stopping for lunch next time I have to drive up by Harrisburg, Pa.

I am a big fan of Pioneer Pit Beef. I love how they give you a sample slice of what you order so you know it's the correct doneness.

The little shack and one or two picnic tables make for a great experience. They truly are not interested in ambiance, only excellent pit beef.

My only small complaint is that if you get off on Security Blvd, there's no easy way back to 70 West. You have to take Rolling Road to Rt 40. But it's a small price to pay for some of the best pit beef around.

I drive by there with the windows down 5 or 6 days a week...what a wonderful odor to wake up to. And yet somehow I haven't grabbed lunch here yet, which I've been meaning to do for months now.

I finally went for lunch...I'm a fairly big Canopy homer, which I consider very good (as well as the new joint Oakey's), but the pit beef that I got today was a step above. Medium-rare with horseradish and what they call tiger sauce, and as soon as I tasted the sample slice I knew I was in for a treat. It was as close to perfect pit beef as I've had and I'd say the best. Maybe its my mood today or maybe the condiments, I don't know, but damn it hit the spot. The fries were about normal for these pit beef places, the Canopy's were slightly better if I had to choose, but let's be real nobody goes to these places for the fries.

Pioneer saved me yesterday. We were on a marathon run from the Catskills of NY to home and had visited 4 farms on the way down for various meat pickups. We hadn't had a meal since we left NY and Jenna and I were famished. Luckily, we were in Monkton, Md and Pioneer pit beef was just a few minutes away. We barely made it there in time, with their funky weekday hours (11-5?), but we were able to enjoy our sandwiches in rush hour traffic. As usual, the medium rare sandwich with horseradish and onions was awesome. Perfectly cooked. I had the super, Jenna the regular. Made the last leg of the trip much easier to deal with.