Restaurant Makeover

JLK

Has anyone had the pleasure of watching Food Network's Restaurant Makeover? My boyfriend and I watched the "Grapefruit Moon" episode this weekend and thought it was equal parts hilarious, enlightening and frightening.

After seeing the show on Grapefruit Moon, I'm shocked that local residents are still flocking to the place. Clearly the owner and chef are hygienically challenged. Maybe the program doesn't air there (it's a Canadian production and this restaurant was located somewhere in Ontario). :lol:

Saw the CoCo's Cafe episode last night - these boys shouldn't be in the restaurant business! But for $30K, the consultants did a fantastic job fixing up this hopeless place, but I'm still trying to think what they did with the bathroom that was basically in the middle of the restaurant...

Saw the CoCo's Cafe episode last night - these boys shouldn't be in the restaurant business!  But for $30K, the consultants did a fantastic job fixing up this hopeless place, but I'm still trying to think what they did with the bathroom that was basically in the middle of the restaurant...

Saw this episode yesterday, and based on that, am leaning heavily toward "frightening" as the best adjective. Everybody seemed to resent each other, the designer and chef completely changed the concept from cheap neighborhood place to chi-chi bistro, and there were lots of death threats and insults flying around. Just annoying.

Wish Food Network would stop "busting out" of the kitchen. I'd like to see a cooking show on a weekend afternoon for a change, instead of "Best Pastry Chef in the Adirondacks '03" and "Here's Your New Stove, Eh!" and the like.

Has anyone had the pleasure of watching Food Network's Restaurant Makeover?  My boyfriend and I watched the "Grapefruit Moon" episode this weekend and thought it was equal parts hilarious, enlightening and frightening. 

After seeing the show on Grapefruit Moon, I'm shocked that local residents are still flocking to the place.  Clearly the owner and chef are hygienically challenged.  Maybe the program doesn't air there (it's a Canadian production and this restaurant was located somewhere in Ontario).   :lol:

The +1 and I caught this and the "Coco's" episode and couldn't help but be reminded of Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" series. At least the Coco's people appreciated the decor work... and if nothing else, the fix-up would get them a better selling price if/when they decide to pack it in.

I wonder what kind of a visit GM got from the local health inspector after the show aired up north?

Edited by Principia

I caught the tail end of "Babelfish Bistro" and it seems like the end result was more positive than the previous two. Some jousting between the chef and the consultant, but nothing as nutty as the previous shows.

I actually enjoy this type of programming. Then again, I'm strictly a novice in the kitchen so straight-cooking shows tend to stress me out and make me feel ineffectual. :lol:

Edited by JLK