Westlawn Inn, North Beach Maryland

Being from Calvert County I had a chance to return and sample John Kozic's delicacies. John is Cordon Blue Trained and he prepared an excellent fare for us that rivaled any of Washington's finer restaurants. I was curious if anyone else had ventuered that way and what hteir experience was?

Edited by Giancarlo Buonarotti

Being from Calvert County I had a chance to return and sample John Kozic's delicacies.  John is Cordon Blue Trained and he prepared an excellent fare for us that rivaled any of Washington's finer restaurants.  I was curious if anyone else had ventuered that way and what hteir experience was?

THANK YOU!!! I've brought up West Lawn before, but nobody seems to have gone there yet. I am a big fan and personal friend of John's, and think he is an absolute genious with food. Glad you've discovered him. :lol:

I went there for my anniversary in August. Luckily I'd made a reservation, b/c they were turning away walk-ins, so apparently others have ventured there. The food was excellent -- great to find such a place in the basically culinary wasteland that is southern MD.

Interesting thread. I thought that I had done my best to eat my way through Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties yet have not heard of or been to this restaurant. Has this been reviewed anywhere? This seems like an excellent excuse for my wife and I to venture back to North Beach, a summer destination for Washingtonians when we grew up....many years ago.

Interesting thread.  I thought that I had done my best to eat my way through Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties yet have not heard of or been to this restaurant.  Has this been reviewed anywhere?  This seems like an excellent excuse for my wife and I to venture back to North Beach, a summer destination  for Washingtonians when we grew up....many years ago.

The Washington Post has written about it a few times, and the restaurant won an award from the MD Restaurant Association. Really worth the trip out there at least once a season (obviously, more if you can swing it) because John changes the menu as the season's ingredients change. They don't have a website (which I've been giving them shit about since they opened) but they are on www.mdlocations.com.

Just got a note from Lee at the Westlawn -- the website is finally live.  Westlawn Inn.  I wish they had included more photos to show the place off, as it really is lovely.  The menu changes a lot, but the one on the site is a very good representation of John's cooking. 

Lola

I had another wonderful meal with friends at the Westlawn Inn. John Kozic did a fantastic job as usual with some splendid appetizers, veal cheeks, fried grren tomatoes and gnochi that were pure punishment! i was happy to hear from him that he is leaving the Westlawn Inn and coming up to La Paradou I hope he can get all of you over to try it once again as i am certain he will bring a lot to the table so to speak.

I had another wonderful meal with friends at the Westlawn Inn.  John Kozic did a fantastic job as usual with some splendid appetizers, veal cheeks, fried grren tomatoes and gnochi that were pure punishment!  i was happy to hear from him that he is leaving the Westlawn Inn and coming up to La Paradou  I hope he can get all of you over to try it once again as i am certain he will bring a lot to the table so to speak.

Please expand - is the Westlawn Inn staying open? Is John Kozic going to be working as a line cook at Le Paradou? This could be a logical (if surprising) result of Oya nabbing a couple of cooks from Le Paradou's kitchen.

Finite geographical area, limited resources, ultimately a small town,

Rocks.