Durian

Don't they eat durians too?

They promised to call me the next time they have a good one. Or perhaps our DR crew will luck out at Eden Center later this month, and I can bring them one instead.

They said the smell thing is overrated. And I instantly wondered about possible correlations to other food/smell phenomena.

Which I did not mention.

Nor demonstrate.

Well if this guy cant hack it do you really think you can? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vm9ik5pjo

Absolutely. Not sure what variety he had, but it was much smaller than the ones that get shipped over here. The durian we get here tastes like a creamy custard, once you get past the DC sewer on a summer day funky aroma. If you want to try the taste, the tofu place at Eden Center makes a very good durian bubble drink. Just be warned--you'll be burping durian for hours.

I was planning on bringing one to the picnic. Of course, it would be better if someone who has eaten it before, and knows how to pick a good one, did it (hint, hint). Otherwise, tips on what to look for would be appreciated.

I was planning on bringing one to the picnic. Of course, it would be better if someone who has eaten it before, and knows how to pick a good one, did it (hint, hint). Otherwise, tips on what to look for would be appreciated.

it was my understanding that all the durian available in the US was frozen, rather than fresh. if so, i wonder if the "picking a good one" matters as much. i much prefer the stuff that comes out of the fruit and ready to eat (you can find this in the frozen section of asian supermarkets). For me, the big frozen fruit, while undeniably dramatic, is just too big a pain to fuss with and i've never noticed a difference in the quality/flavor of the fruit in the whole vs pre shelled durian.

You don't know how much less until you've something to compare it to. I've been to Malaysia during durian season and it was scary.

This reminds me of the gingko tree by my research lab during the summer days in Chicago and makes me wonder how that smell compares to a durian smell? Rotten gingkos are not fun either.

"The five cells are silky-white within, and are filled with a mass of firm, cream-coloured pulp, containing about three seeds each. This pulp is the edible part, and its consistence and flavour are indescribable. A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy. It is neither acidic nor sweet nor juicy; yet it wants neither of these qualities, for it is in itself perfect. It produces no nausea or other bad effect, and the more you eat of it the less you feel inclined to stop. In fact, to eat Durians is a new sensation worth a voyage to the East to experience. ... as producing a food of the most exquisite flavour it is unsurpassed."

-- Alfred Russel Wallace (1856), British Naturalist

Purchased today at Grand Mart, Seven Corners:

IMG_0855.jpg <--- Wafer-thin ... just ... one ... wafer-thin ....

• Like 2

We spotted FRESH, not frozen durian at the tiny new Lotte Market in Herndon (former K-mart plaza on Eldon St.) April 25.  They were $7.99 a pound and miraculously smelled of custard and not of overripe summer sewer gas.  Our kitchen is still under reconstruction or we would probably have sprung for one.  These were extremely small durian, about the size of a football, so one would likely be in the 3lb range.  

Adding:  At the Lotte on Metrotech Drive in Chantilly on April 26, the fresh durian display (down to just a single durian) had this sign.   I suspect there is an excellent story behind it.

No Durian Return.jpg

• Like 1

They always* have durian at the Best Way on Route 1 in Alexandria south of the Costco, but before Ft. Belvior.  

* "Always" may be an overstatement. I don't know the season for these things, but it seems like they have them all the time.