Hot Cross Buns

Anna Blume

The quality of Whole Foods baked goods has been increasingly disappointing in general, but the hot cross buns I picked up yesterday are possibly the worst bakery item I've ever purchased. Dry and stale, with big raisins instead of currants & candied fruit and not even a hint of cinnamon or allspice. The frosting forming the cross was flavorless and dried out enough that it could be lifted off. Just horrid. Entemanns would have been better than this. If I don't have time to make them again next year, then we will just skip it.

Atwater's (of Baltimore) was selling hot cross bun at the farmers market on Easter Sunday, though not the day before.

Atwater's (of Baltimore) was selling hot cross bun at the farmers market on Easter Sunday, though not the day before.

I've had some tasty ones this season at the Swiss Bakery in Burke and Springfield, I know that's not much help for the DC bound, but just in case anyone else glimpses the thread.

Heidelberg's hot cross buns were a tad dry for my taste; I was really surprised. Wegmans generally do pretty well with theirs; they do use raisins instead of currants, but they're nice plump raisins, and the rest of the fruit's reasonably good.