Pay-Ahead Dining

mdt

So Grant it going to have a pay ahead policy for his new restaurant. I think this might be a good idea if it can help to reduce the overall cost of dining out. I can certainly see them needing a well written cancellation policy. What do the masses here think about this? I mean it is almost like some of our DR.com outings where we used PayPal.

Story here.

So Grant it going to have a pay ahead policy for his new restaurant. I think this might be a good idea if it can help to reduce the overall cost of dining out. I can certainly see them needing a well written cancellation policy. What do the masses here think about this? I mean it is almost like some of our DR.com outings where we used PayPal.

Story here.

My initial reaction was "you've got to be kidding me," but by the time I got through the article, I said to myself, "well, why not?"

And I REALLY like the idea of gratuity (and hopefully tax) being included in the price. Once this industry begins treating restaurant servers as professionals, we're going to start seeing more professional servers.

Cheers,

Rocks.

If gratuity is included in the pre-pay, how would I, as the diner, show my satisfaction or dissatisfaction for the server? Will there be a survey at the end of the meal whose results influence the distribution? "How would you rank your server this evening? 5 4 3 2 1"

If gratuity is included in the pre-pay, how would I, as the diner, show my satisfaction or dissatisfaction for the server?

Service compris seems to work fine in other parts of the world.

(and hopefully tax) being included in the price.

Would have to be if he's going for an entirely transaction-free experience (mentioned at the end of the article), right?

If gratuity is included in the pre-pay, how would I, as the diner, show my satisfaction or dissatisfaction for the server? Will there be a survey at the end of the meal whose results influence the distribution? "How would you rank your server this evening? 5 4 3 2 1"

It's up to the owner to determine how the money collected for the meals is distributed. The article linked above says that he may pay the kitchen staff more than the servers.

I'd imagine if there were anything particularly noteworthy about the food and/or service (good or bad), the same website where you purchase tickets will have some contact form for diners to provide feedback.

I think this is a fabulous idea, and I hope it is quickly adopted by high-end restaurants everywhere, especially Washington. As to tipping, unless it's explicitly forbidden, I don't see what's to stop diners from slipping cash to their servers if they feel like it.

In Italy, you commonly add a few euros to the bill to show your satisfaction with your server. Usually on the oder of 3-5 euro for a 100 euro bill. Maybe a little more if special service is provided, but never over 5 to 7% or you are looked on as boorish or unknowing.

If anything, I think this might cause restaurant staff to be more aware of how their servers are doing. Think about it - if the only feedback you get is a tip amount, what does that tell you? Sure, maybe a low tip means that the service wasn't up to par, but maybe it's a case of somebody who never tips well leaving what they think is a fair tip, or maybe it's somebody unfairly docking the server for the kitchen's faults. Asking the diner specifically at the end of the meal how their service was is a far better way to have a handle on how your FOH staff is working.

If gratuity is included in the pre-pay, how would I, as the diner, show my satisfaction or dissatisfaction for the server? "

I recommend you ask to speak to a manager, which you should do anytime you are extremely pleased with, or disappointed in, service.

I don't want to live in Chicago so I wish that Next is in DC - because of the seasonal menus of different places/era. Paying in advance doesn't bother me much either. What about people who want more to drink? Would he refuse to serve additional drinks or there would still be "transactions" at the restaurant?

I really like the idea. Nothing spoils a great meal like feeling really content, then suddenly being reminded that you have to pay for your meal, then thinking about the fact that you have to work in order to afford the meal, then thinking about the fact that you fucking hate your job, then thinking about the fact that you need to call Paula about the fucking data license first thing, and that Joe in accounting lost your expense report, and your assistant is pregnant, and that oh god fucking kill me now.

If you pay beforehand, it's out of sight out of mind, so... snap!