Canary Islands

durwoodx

We are now looking at a possible July trip to the Canary Islands. We found a ridiculously good deal (on BOTH airfare and lodging) for 12 days there and are sorely tempted. The only thing is - we know bupkis about the place.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this area? What's the dining/shopping/nightlife/beaches/etc like? We are both late 30s and pretty active and looking for good food and good fun with interspersed lazy times.

Funny you should mention. I just moved from DC to the Canary Islands 2 months ago, I live in Tenerife (where I was born and raised). What island are you staying in? For fine dining on the high end there are two restaurants with 1 michelin star in Tenerife (Kabuki in the Abama hotel as well as Martin Berasategui in the Abama hotel), you also have the second outpost of Calima from chef Dani Garcia (who has 2 michelin stars at his restaurant at the Grand Melia in Marbella). For excellent canary islands food you should go to El Silbo Gomero (in Santa Cruz) or el Templete (in el Medano). I can tell you a lot more about Tenerife but not much about the other islands, let me know where you´re going and I will tell you more.