Komi's Mascarpone-Stuffed Dates

Good Zing don.

Any chance you can get that recipe from Mr. Monis, those dates are seriously delicious. I have tried to make them on my own, but they don't turn out the same.

I can give you three of the ingredients.

1. Medjool dates.

2. VERY HIGH-QUALITY EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.

3. Sea salt.

Don Rocks will have to supply the rest.

I can give you three of the ingredients.

1. Medjool dates.

2. VERY HIGH-QUALITY EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.

3. Sea salt.

Johnny Monis fills the pitted, roasted dates with mascarpone. When I make them, I use homemade lavender chevre and sprinkle on some lemon zest, in addition to the olive oil and fleur de sel.

Johnny Monis fills the pitted, roasted dates with mascarpone. When I make them, I use homemade lavender chevre and sprinkle on some lemon zest, in addition to the olive oil and fleur de sel.

I read on this blog comment to mix the mascarpone with a little Greek yogurt to make it a little bit more tart. It also makes the dates easier to fill since the mixture is thinned out.

The dates are easy to make. Cut a slit across a medjool date and remove the pit carefully, then fill with a mixture of 1/3 Greek yoghurt and 2/3 mascarpone. Cook in a toaster over at around 400 degrees for around 5 minutes, sprinkle on some fleur-de-sel (or kosher salt), and serve immediately. I don't bother with olive oil, but I guess a spritze of oil could keep the date a bit softer and more moist.

You can fill the dates a few hours in advance and then heat for a party. Make 2-3 per eater. They're delicious in small doses but can be pretty cloying if you eat more than a few.

Astrid, that is exactly how I make them with one difference- I fill the dates a few hours (or even a night) in advance and then store them in the freezer until I am ready to bake them. I do this because I have found that the they need to be put in an extremely hot over to melt the right way, and if they aren't frozen first, all the filling runs out. Have you had this issue or am I nuts?

I haven't had that problem. Do you use Greek style yogurt in the filling? I made my first batch with just mascarpone and it was a runny mess, but adding yogurt stabilizes the mixture. Even when I leave them in the oven for too long, I get small grease puddles in the pan but the filling stays put.

Astrid, that is exactly how I make them with one difference- I fill the dates a few hours (or even a night) in advance and then store them in the freezer until I am ready to bake them. I do this because I have found that the they need to be put in an extremely hot over to melt the right way, and if they aren't frozen first, all the filling runs out. Have you had this issue or am I nuts?

The freezing suggestion is spot on. Thanks very much for the tip, our rendition of these turned out quite good.