Top Chef Masters, on Bravo

MAdinolfi78

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Chef Masters starts this week! The first episode airs this Wed, June 10, at 10pm.

Description of the first episode:

MASTERS GET SCHOOLED

Hubert Keller (Fleur de Lys), Christopher Lee (Aureole), Michael Schlow (Radius Restaurant), and Tim Love (The Lonesome Dove Western Bistro) are the first four chefs to draw knives and kick off a whole new level of culinary competition. Each episode will re-create a classic "Top Chef" quickfire challenge – the first being to create the most creative and delicious dessert they can (as seen on season four). At the end, one chef moves on to the Champions Round.

Just watched it on the DVR tonight. Not bad. I guess they give their weird challenges to see how they can adapt, but I'd really just rather watch them cook their socks off.

And the woman hosting the show looks like a skeleton. What's up with that?

I was hoping Hubert would make it through to the 'champion' round. yay!

I have to say, I quite enjoyed last nights Top Chef Masters. It is nice to see them just cooking, without all the reality show drama and bs.

I couldn't agree more. It also seemed that their experience/self-confidence contributed to the lack of conflict; they didn't seem to have the typica reality need to one-up each other, at least verbally.

If I ever go out to LA, I now know where to splurge! Also must make a visit to Chef Graham Elliot's place. Another fantastic episode, although, based on the previews, next week's looks even better.

Yes, though it's not too hard to figure out why Chef Tracht has never had a show of her own. Her personality did not exactly jump off the screen. (I know. I know. This should be about the cooking, not the personality, but I'm just saying.)

Yes, though it's not too hard to figure out why Chef Tracht has never had a show of her own. Her personality did not exactly jump off the screen. (I know. I know. This should be about the cooking, not the personality, but I'm just saying.)
Not true, regarding the personality. I am sure that personality was one of the reasons first season hostess, Katie Joel, was not invited back. A good show should encompass both. I did find it touching how she referred to her family as her backbone.

My question is: What does this woman Kelly have to do with good food, other than not eating any so that she can stay so skinny? Padma is gorgeous, and she is also a talented cook who has written a very credible cookbook.
She's done a lot of stuff on NYC TV. --> click

Are we not supposed to say too much here not to spoil it for those who haven't seen the new episode yet?

I so wanted the winner to win and I loved the charity, of course. That said, I regret missing the show w Wylie and Falkner. From the last minutes I caught and the recap, it looked a lot more interesting than tonight's contest.

I find the time constraints ridiculous when they compromise the nature of the challenge. Why not permit long braises and whatnot when one of the obstacles is making offal appealing to the masses?

P.S. Zee cute one he was so how you say maddening, no?

Rick was very lucky in both his draws. That's not to say that he isn't very skillful, but he got two slow pitches to hit, right in his strike zone. Other chefs in the competition have had to swing at curveballs and screwballs.

Funny how everyone went latin - taco, menudo, quesadilla, and tripleta. With beef heart, I thought of anticuchos. Tongue - tacos. Tripe - stew. I couldn't think of a good pig ear street food dish. I've had plenty of pig ears but none are really street food. Ludo got hosed.

Except for the tattos. His arms went native.

He actually is very down to earth person besides his `rock star` like looks.

Few years ago when he was the executive chef at Bastide in LA (now closed) I had the chance to dine there and his food was amazing. Everytime I was in I had long chats with him and he is really a nice person.

How does that hostess hold her head up? Her neck is like a little pipe cleaner!

I'm liking Art. I hope he wins. At the least, I'll go to his restaurant. Well played, sir.

Great episode--I really enjoyed the camaraderie. But how did you know the result before the show ended? As far as I know, it runs from 10-11pm ET...

Watching the chefs do the prep challenge was a trip! Suzanne Tracht was awe inspiring, opening the oysters, as was Anita Low, cutting up five chickens. And Art Smith beat Hubert Keller at chopping onions--hard to believe, as Keller is perhaps the most technically skilled and experienced of all the chefs there, and Art Smith is more of a self-trained, rustic chef. Rick Bayless, in reinterpreting Michael Chiarello's quail dish, chose to cook Italian instead of Mexican, which was impressive, since he voluntarily took himself out of his comfort zone. This was a thoroughly absorbing, entertaining competition as far as I was concerned--successful, talented chefs challenged to test their skill and creativity while being ultimately respectful of each other.

I loved this episode, too. I didn't quite understand how Rick Bayless was interpreting instructions to take a peer's signature dish and remake it as one's own--Anita Lo really seemed to be taking that part of the challenge to heart when she went East on Keller's dish. He seemed to be creating more of a friendly homage, though perhaps one-upping his competition by demonstrating how he could do Italian even better. The surprise element and versatility he showed garners a lot of respect. I learned a couple of new things about him that increased my respect even more.

Agreed that last night was really Top Chef at its best. No silly interpersonal drama. Just interesting cooking by interesting people. I, too, was most impressed with Rick Bayless leaving his comfort zone.

One of these weeks I'm guessing they're going to do the blind ingredient taste test as the quickfire. It's certainly one of their recurrent challenges. That might be interesting since, among the five remaining chefs of varied backgrounds and styles, I'm guessing they've tasted just about everything at one point or another.

So does anyone know how the production works for the dish presentation during the elimination challege? Last night with 6 contestants presenting one at a time, it would seem you are at a disadvantage going last (food sitting around etc.).

If you presented last (forget who did last night), then conceivably it could be an hour before your dish gets to the judges (figuring 10 minutes per chef...which would seem some what reasonable).

Suzanne's downfall was primarily cold, overcooked fish...yet oddly Hubert, who I believe presented after her, didn't seem to have any problem with his scallops.

Just curious as to how the production crew works around these sorts of logisitcs.

So does anyone know how the production works for the dish presentation during the elimination challege? Last night with 6 contestants presenting one at a time, it would seem you are at a disadvantage going last (food sitting around etc.).

If you presented last (forget who did last night), then conceivably it could be an hour before your dish gets to the judges (figuring 10 minutes per chef...which would seem some what reasonable).

Suzanne's downfall was primarily cold, overcooked fish...yet oddly Hubert, who I believe presented after her, didn't seem to have any problem with his scallops.

Just curious as to how the production crew works around these sorts of logisitcs.

I wondered about that, too. They probably have individual start and stop times for each of the chefs, based on when they are due to present their dish to the judges.

I wondered about that, too. They probably have individual start and stop times for each of the chefs, based on when they are due to present their dish to the judges.

IIRC, this was how they did split presentations during the regular season.

I have heard that he does yoga, but he also has a mighty strong right arm. Did you see how fast he whipped those egg whites?

Holy shit, I KNOW! I've only whipped whites to peaks by hand ONCE, and I felt like my fucking arm was going to fall off!!

That was very impressive.

I'm just a Hubert Keller fan all around, I love his show on PBS. My wife and I, though, have just been floored by Anita. Has anyone ever been to her place?

Holy shit, I KNOW! I've only whipped whites to peaks by hand ONCE, and I felt like my fucking arm was going to fall off!!

That was very impressive.

I'm just a Hubert Keller fan all around, I love his show on PBS. My wife and I, though, have just been floored by Anita. Has anyone ever been to her place?

Yep; we first went to Anissa in 2000 when spouse was working in NYC and been back several times. Wonderful food, creatively and delicately prepared. (Sorry to hear about the fire.). Also tried her, alas, now closed, Bar-Q venture last year. Thought it was terrific, but also noticed an absence of customers. She is one impressive lady.

that would make the most sense...then edit the footage to make it look like there is actually only one block of cooking time.

It looks like next weeks show will bring back some of the reality show "bite" to Top Chef Masters (ugh.). All I saw was a clip of former contestant Dale yelling at Michael Chiarello. What a douchebag that guy was.

I would love to see Hubert Keller stab Spike in the eye with a honing steel, then Rick Bayless does a reverse roundhouse kick to drive it all the way in and out the other side. Michael Chiarello then pushes him into the mixing bowl of a Hobart fitted with a dough hook. "We don't KNEAD that kind of douchebaggery here!" says Anita Lo as she pulls out his liver with her bare hands, and then the chefs take their turns relishing the still warm organ with whoops and hollers of sheer victory.

Also, they all shit in his hat or something.

I would love to see Hubert Keller stab Spike in the eye with a honing steel, then Rick Bayless does a reverse roundhouse kick to drive it all the way in and out the other side. Michael Chiarello then pushes him into the mixing bowl of a Hobart fitted with a dough hook. "We don't KNEAD that kind of douchebaggery here!" says Anita Lo as she pulls out his liver with her bare hands, and then the chefs take their turns relishing the still warm organ with whoops and hollers of sheer victory.

The story would be complete if they then cooked said liver "sous-vide" with a warm compote of huckleberries and a bacon foam and finally serving it to the 3 judges for critique....

^Along the same lines, Chef Hubert's line about Spike during the quickfire was hilarious! I think Michael Chiarello is starting to look and sound like the Godfather, though. Next week will definitely be interesting....Btw, was anyone else wondering if the "chocolate" used was really vegan? I guess because Chef Art didn't specify, I became a bit curious...

Classic! Spike does indeed need a good Spike in the eye.

I still think Bayless is creepy. Knowledgeable, probably quite talented, but creepy.

^Along the same lines, Chef Hubert's line about Spike during the quickfire was hilarious! I think Michael Chiarello is starting to look and sound like the Godfather, though. Next week will definitely be interesting....Btw, was anyone else wondering if the "chocolate" used was really vegan? I guess because Chef Art didn't specify, I became a bit curious...

Was there chocolate in that dish? I thought is was just strawberries, "ice cream", and a brittle thing.

Even so, why wouldn't the chocolate be considered vegan? There are no animal products in dark chocolate. However, she did say she was allergic to soy, so if there was any lecithin in the chocolate, well.....