Escolar

...described escolar as "cat food" in japan... but wait, I like escolar!
Escolar has been banned in Japan for almost 30 years now because they consider it toxic. The high oil content perch/barracuda-shaped “oilfish” is unable to metabolize natural wax compounds found in its diet. The compound, gempylotoxin, is resistant to human digestive enzymes and when eaten raw by humans in amounts exceeding 2 oz they gets the shits the likes of which would have made even Zappa blush. The gatro-intestinal-uhoh is called keriorrhoea from the Greek keras = “wax” and diarrhein = “to flow through”, one of the more colorful varieties of diarrhea which results in...
...oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
That, without hyperbole, is awesome. :blink:

Best to you order that 6oz piece of white tuna more on the medium side, or Scotchguard your drawers and accessorize the Flat-D hardware accordingly.

NYTimes article

Recently I had a fantastic meal at Sushi Sono, and have one question about the amazing "white tuna."

Is it Escolar or is it Albacore?

I feel certain Chef King knows the difference if anyone does, and so I wonder -- which is it?

On-line guides say these two fish are often confused, and with the gastro consequences of Escolar it seems important to ask.

The taste is amazing, but the after effects can be brutal if it is Escolar.

How is a diner to know the difference?

Recently I had a fantastic meal at Sushi Sono, and have one question about the amazing "white tuna."

Is it Escolar or is it Albacore?

I feel certain Chef King knows the difference if anyone does, and so I wonder -- which is it?

On-line guides say these two fish are often confused, and with the gastro consequences of Escolar it seems important to ask.

The taste is amazing, but the after effects can be brutal if it is Escolar.

How is a diner to know the difference?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the problem with Escolar?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the problem with Escolar?

From wikipedia:

... escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. This gives the escolar an oil content of 14–25% in its flesh. These wax esters may cause gastrointestinal distress in humans called "steatorrhea", the onset of which may occur between 30 minutes and 36 hours following consumption. Symptoms may include stomach cramps, oily bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, control of portion size is recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish, making it edible without ill side-effects. Portions should be no greater than 6 ounces (170 grams).

Thank you, Daniel. I will be sure to avoid escolar.

I don't think anyone is saying that's a necessary step. One piece of sushi is less than an ounce, which is fairly unlikely to cause any of the noted gastrointestinal effects. You're already eating raw fish, which is itself a small risk.

I just wouldn't recommend escolar chirashi, or getting the 10oz filet at a restaurant, even if cooked.

I don't think anyone is saying that's a necessary step. One piece of sushi is less than an ounce, which is fairly unlikely to cause any of the noted gastrointestinal effects. You're already eating raw fish, which is itself a small risk.

I just wouldn't recommend escolar chirashi, or getting the 10oz filet at a restaurant, even if cooked.

We have reservations for the Ashby Inn and noticed that the only fish entree is escolar. Inasmuch as we don't eat meat, we either order the escolar or skip the entree. Any advice? Thanks.

We have reservations for the Ashby Inn and noticed that the only fish entree is escolar. Inasmuch as we don't eat meat, we either order the escolar or skip the entree. Any advice? Thanks.

From what I've read, my understanding is that if the portion of escolar is under 6 oz. it won't produce the awful GI effects. But, I'd definitely call the Inn and express your concerns.

A few years ago I had escolar sushi. I think it was some type of roll and Mr. BLB split it with me. So not a large portion.

Several hours later, I wanted to die. It wasn't much comfort to know I wasn't going to die. I just had to wait it out.

Never again. Never, ever, again. The Japanese have the right idea!

I had 2 slices of three large slabs on a sashimi plater at Niwano Hana the other night. 3 oz max. Super fresh. Close to the danger point but I survived with only an close to acceptable lavel of discomfort. But as BLB says, never again.

BTW, Niwano Hana has some nice stuff, Sashimi & Octopus salad. The seafood udon pot would have been better sans seafood {availble both ways}, the agedashi tofu not so great. Open late which is a great incentive for us.