Montgomery Farm Women's Cooperative

Can anyone tell me anything about the Montgomery Farm Women's Cooperative in Bethesda, right on Wisconsin Ave, across from the Exxon station & Mongolian BBQ & just past Trader Joe's? I pass by it all the time & wonder if it's any good? Do they have organic produce, etc...?

Can anyone tell me anything about the Montgomery Farm Women's Cooperative in Bethesda, right on Wisconsin Ave, across from the Exxon station & Mongolian BBQ & just past Trader Joe's? I pass by it all the time & wonder if it's any good? Do they have organic produce, etc...?

A community tradition since Franklin Roosevelt was President. Lots of prepared food and baked goods, some local produce--but don't count on finding organically grown. A meat seller. A cheese monger who sells artisan and farmstead cheeses and local milk has been around for a year or two. Vendors shuffle in and out of there and I don't go very often, so you'll just have to go take a look. There are better farmers market options, if you are looking for local, organically grown produce.

A community tradition since Franklin Roosevelt was President. Lots of prepared food and baked goods, some local produce--but don't count on finding organically grown. A meat seller. A cheese monger who sells artisan and farmstead cheeses and local milk has been around for a year or two. Vendors shuffle in and out of there and I don't go very often, so you'll just have to go take a look. There are better farmers market options, if you are looking for local, organically grown produce.

Thank You, Zora. So what farmer's markets would you recommend I go to for local organic produce? We live in Tenleytown.

I'm still going to go by & check out the Women's Cooperative, if nothing else to help support them. I like the idea of helping a Farm Women's Coop. :)

Thank You, Zora. So what farmer's markets would you recommend I go to for local organic produce? We live in Tenleytown.

I'm still going to go by & check out the Women's Cooperative, if nothing else to help support them. I like the idea of helping a Farm Women's Coop. :)

Here's a good place to start. In DC, I enjoy Dupont, which is a Fresh Farm Market, as well as 14th & U.

Not sure what the current governance is...

If you live in Tenleytown, you are close to New Morning Farm @Sheridan School--on Tuesday and Saturday. Several organic farmers send their produce via New Morning, which is also at Dupont Circle on Sundays.

Also nearby is the new Saturday Bethesda FreshFarm market, which is listed in the link in the above post.

You are not that far from Arlington Courthouse market on Saturday.

And Sunday morning, in addition to Dupont Circle FreshFarm market, which is the best market in the region, there is also Palisades Market and Takoma Park market.

Also, many of the vegetable growers grow their crops organically (ie. without pesticides or chemical fertilizers), but they have not obtained Organic Certification, which is a costly and time consuming process. So, don't reject someone just because they are not "Certified Organic"--ask about whether they use chemical fertilizers and pesticides--the farmers are usually glad to discuss their practices.