Going to Eat, or to Meet and Greet?

Miami Danny

Shortly after Bert started at 2941, I took my wife and MIL to dinner there. After a $75 per person prix fixe 3 course meal that I wasn't particularly fond of, we were invited to tour the kitchen. Luckily the kitchen is quite spacious so we weren't really obstructing anyone. However, I saw that a family was seated at the chef's table in the kitchen. I can only imagine how annoying it was to pay for that table and have your meal disturbed by the comings and goings of other diners. Recently I thought about booking the chef's table at 2941 (6 courses for $150). I decided not to do it because there's not much bang for the buck and then there's the possiblity of having my meal disturbed by kitchen tours.

I'm not much for meeting celebrities. It would interest me to meet someone only if I can have time to have an intelligent conversation - which these silly opportunities do not offer.

I'm simply curious-- this is not a complaint. I've heard several people mention they were invited to have a tour of the kitchen at 2941. I've been there several times under both the original and current chefs, and I've never been asked. Did I miss something? Without knowing what ones sees there, a kitchen tour doesn't even sound that appealing.

I've heard several people mention they were invited to have a tour of the kitchen at 2941. I've been there several times under both the original and current chefs, and I've never been asked. Did I miss something?

I have no idea why we were offered a tour. We didn't ask for one, and I thought about declining the offer but that seemed almost rude to decline such offer.

P.S. I also don't care about where the Prez and his Russian buddy went to eat.

I have no idea why we were offered a tour. We didn't ask for one, and I thought about declining the offer but that seemed almost rude to decline such offer.

P.S. I also don't care about where the Prez and his Russian buddy went to eat.

"P.S. I also don't care about where the Prez and his Russian buddy went to eat."

I'm not sure what that has to do with kitchen tours, but the point of the piece in the Guardian was that reflexively offering a tour of the kitchen or a 'meet the chef' is not necessarily a bonus for the customer (check out the comments from the Brits). There are definitely some chefs that I would love to meet after a meal that they cooked. Others, I would rather not. Yes-Michel Richard. Yes-Peter Smith. No?