Shopping for Jerky

I need to get a variety of jerky and have about three days to pull it together. Does anyone know of a store that sells a variety of jerky? I'll travel anywhere inside the beltway and 10 miles out. But it's got to be good jerky.

MoM's on Glebe had American bison/buffalo, venison, salmon, and a couple other varieties in a decent selection when I trekked through last week.

(when i read your thread topic)

(i immediately wondered)

("who is jerky?")

I visited Vail Colorado for a conference last August, and I'm going again next month. On Sundays in the summer, Vail has a street fair lined with vendors of all kinds. Last year I tasted about 20 different samples of this, and bought about 10 of them as gifts:

http://www.climaxjerky.com/home/index.php

It's the best I ever had, and let me warn you right now, the habanero beef jerky is extremely hot. But I don't shop for jerky anymore, I just order it from them.

Hill,

I would be willing to go in for some if choose to purchase this and you need to lessen your shipping costs. I have never had jerky as good on the East coast as I have in CO. I do have to say that I'm not sure I've had it from this purveyor. Even though I know there is a town called Climax in CO I still like the idea of jerky from Climax because I'm 12. :)

You might also check in with Red Apron at Penn Quarter on Thursdays.

Hill,

I would be willing to go in] for some if choose to purchase this and you need to lessen your shipping costs. I have never had jerky as good on the East coast as I have in CO. I do have to say that I'm not sure I've had it from this purveyor.

I'm sending it as a gift (see below) but would be interested in getting some for myself. Let's talk.

Even though I know there is a town called Climax in CO I still like the idea of jerky from Climax because I'm 12. :)

Imagine how great it will be when a box of jerky from Climax shows up at my brother in law's office. :D

I'm a big fan of Red Rock Beef Jerky from my hometown of Gallup, NM. They've got a number of varieties, nothing too fancy: natural, salt, lemon pepper, teriyaki, red chile, green chile, etc. Azami and I are big fans of the lemon pepper and the red chile; neither of us cared for the teriyaki (too sweet and chewy) or the green chile (which is a mystery). Their website is pitiful, though (www.redrockbeefjerky.webyp.net gets you basic phone/address info).

Hill,

I would be willing to go in for some if choose to purchase this and you need to lessen your shipping costs.

No need to go in on a purchase-there was no shipping costs when I placed my order today. That being said, I'm still going to order some to try it myself so if you still want to go in and save a box or two let me know.

Even though I know there is a town called Climax in CO I still like the idea of jerky from Climax because I'm 12. :)

The amount of amusement that middle and high school teachers had today from my purchase of jerky from Climax whose motto is "Reach your peak" was worth every penny. Not so ironically, lower school teachers didn't find it quite as funny.

I also want to note that so far I have received great customer service. I had to change my order and contacting them was easy and I received a response from one of the owners within an hour. There is something to be said for ordering from a small, family run company.

I also want to note that so far I have received great customer service. I had to change my order and contacting them was easy and I received a response from one of the owners within an hour. There is something to be said for ordering from a small, family run company.

I totally agree. This is why I love the guys at Rappahanock Oysters.

This guy reviewed 500+ jerkies and gave each a beer pairing. His review of Climax jerkies matches pretty well with my experience (the "premium cut" stuff is acceptable, the foil pack stuff is definitely above par). I've already succumbed to two more jerky orders, one to Rives Quality Meats and another at Ed's Roadhouse. I'll report back about my experience with both.

Both Rives Quality Meats and Ed's Roadhouse were excellent.

Rives Quality Meat jerkies are very meaty and it was easy to eat a large amount in a short period of time. Both beef and turkey jerkies were easy to eat and flavorful. I was particularly impressed with the BBQ flavor. The price was pretty good ($15/lb) too.

Ed's Roadhouse jerkies are made to order, so it took over 2 weeks to get the end product. They are in small, thin pieces so they lasted a lot longer. The flavors are very good (particularly the hot and fruity varieties) and he was not joking about the heat.

In addition to jerky, Rives Quality Meats also sells rather phallic looking "snack stix" that's basically a skinny and tasty summer sausage. I can easily envision an eating contest centered around them.

I should have mentioned this earlier as well: the official slogan for Ed's Roadhouse is "Nobody Beats My Meat." Ed's also planning to sell meat rubs under "we've got your meat covered."