Cans or Bottles?

[Am hoping Don or other forum host can come up with better or wittier title & description.]

Anyway, am having a debate with a friend on whether the better beers are in a can or bottle. I've had some nice canned ones recently and was wondering, for the more seasoned members, on your thoughts.

What's your preference?

What are some of your favorite cans or bottle brews?

Two articles supporting rise of canned beer:

Huffington Post (10 Reasons to Drink Canned Beer); and

OnTap Magazine (Show Me Your Cans?..No, Seriously. I'm Thirsty!).

Well, many more beers are still in bottle than can, so the question as stated is a bit moot. That said, I would love for more breweries to go over to can. It's less expensive, stacks better, can go more places (parade routes, beaches, other places with glass restrictions), allows no light in (which can affect some beers).

I think neither article linked is an argument for or against canned vs bottle. The existence of good canned beers does not shed light on which is a better system for beer delivery.

I have a friend who used to be in the heat activated aluminum closure industry before opening a winery. He said the best closures for wine were heat rolled aluminum pull tabs which had much better performance issues than stelvans, but that no one would try them. Of course when he opened his winery, he went the cork route.

I would be very interested in seeing good controlled studies in can vs bottle. Just as I would like to see such studied on cork vs stelvin etc. In the few suggestive studies I have read, stelvin closed wines tend to be said to be in suspended animation with age. Age the wine for years and have it taste you as the day it was bottled.

On beer I ahve heard a lot of arugments on the lower freight costs, durability and lower energy costs in cholling a can... good things all. I have also heard that the carbonation holding power of a can is less but given how most beer is not aged, is that a problem.

An interesting conundrum.

Honestly I wish wish wish (strongly wish) more brewers would get into the can thing. Environmental and shipping issues aside, as a consumer they are so much more compact and convenient. I rarely drink from the bottle (or can) anyway (having a bunch of ludicrous beerware tackily displayed in my china cabinet.) Once you mix in the number of outdoor destinations that don't allow glassware of any kind it just makes so much sense.

To date, however, I only know of three "craft" brewers (i.e. non-ImBev/Anhauser Busch or Miller/Coors conglomerate crap) that offer cans, and only one do I really care for, that being Oskar Blues out of Colorado, purveyors of Dale's Pale Ale, Gubna, Ten Fidy and Gordon to name a few.

Last summer I was drinking a Laotian beer from a bottle, and I thought about how much it cost in carbon footprint for transporting just the bottle halfway around the world, much less the contents. Since then, I've been considering my beer habits a little more. First, I was into the canned stuff, and I enjoyed the Oskar Blues offerings, and more recently the Butternuts Beer and Ale Porkslap Ale, brewed in New York. No one told me that Flying Dog Brewery had moved all of its brewing to Fredrick, Maryland. I found that out sometime back in June, and I've been enjoying all of their offerings in the bottle since then, especially their Raging Bitch Imperial Belgian Ale.

Tastewise, I can't tell a difference between the two delivery systems. I haven't had a skunky beer in a while so I don't know if drinking local-er is helping that or not. I'll also be trying more of the range of beers from Heavy Seas in Baltimore.

Last summer I was drinking a Laotian beer from a bottle, and I thought about how much it cost in carbon footprint for transporting just the bottle halfway around the world, much less the contents. Since then, I've been considering my beer habits a little more. First, I was into the canned stuff, and I enjoyed the Oskar Blues offerings, and more recently the Butternuts Beer and Ale Porkslap Ale, brewed in New York. No one told me that Flying Dog Brewery had moved all of its brewing to Fredrick, Maryland. I found that out sometime back in June, and I've been enjoying all of their offerings in the bottle since then, especially their Raging Bitch Imperial Belgian Ale.

Tastewise, I can't tell a difference between the two delivery systems. I haven't had a skunky beer in a while so I don't know if drinking local-er is helping that or not. I'll also be trying more of the range of beers from Heavy Seas in Baltimore.

Bottom line, cans are the way to go just based on the light issue. It is death to beer, and the reason why Sam Adams carrying cases for 6-packs rides so high up the bottle. Its not for show, but so that very little light can interact wiith the beer. Hopefully more breweries, handcarfted ones at that thought, will go away from the light and into the can.

There is lots of good canned beer available locally these days in addition to Oskar Blues there is 21st Amendment from San Francisco, New England Brewing, Boddington's, Murphy's Stout, Guinness and many, many more. Red Derby in Columbia Heights apparently only carries canned beers, no taps no bottles.

In addition to blocking light, cans also allow for practically no air at the top of the can unlike bottles where there is always a little air left at the top of the bottle. As has been said, light and air are a beer's worst enemies. I have read that canning used to be pretty expensive and that is another reason why cans weren't used by smaller brewers. I understand that a fairly inexpensive canning machine has come on the market within the last few years which makes canning more affordable for the smaller brewers. Also, the new cans are lined with something which prevents a metalic taste. However, the lining is a little controversial as some folks suspect that the lining is bad for one's health.

Bottom line, cans are the way to go just based on the light issue. It is death to beer, and the reason why Sam Adams carrying cases for 6-packs rides so high up the bottle. Its not for show, but so that very little light can interact wiith the beer. Hopefully more breweries, handcarfted ones at that thought, will go away from the light and into the can.

I was suspicious of this, because it's an ad line from Sam Adams TV commercials. Fortunately, Consumer Reports has studied this. "Cans might not look chic, but they protect beer best of all. If you go for glass, dark is better than clear, and brown is better than green."

So, why isn't everyone heading in that direction? It can't cost that much more.

I was suspicious of this, because it's an ad line from Sam Adams TV commercials. Fortunately, Consumer Reports has studied this. "Cans might not look chic, but they protect beer best of all. If you go for glass, dark is better than clear, and brown is better than green."

So, why isn't everyone heading in that direction? It can't cost that much more.

I've got to imagine perception plays into a lot if it, the same way with wine and screwtops/boxes.

Last month, for the first time in 5 years, I had a Resurrection Ale from the Brewer's Art in Baltimore. Truth be told, I had six. They were in cans and they were fan-fucking-tastic. Count me in as a fan of beer in cans.

Wait, Brewers Art is canning now?! Haven't seen any. Would be verry interested if there are any non-Baltimore retail sitings...