Mixology 911

lperry

We finally got a piece of furniture that is going to be a dedicated liquor cabinet, so I consolidated stashes from various parts of the house only to find some items that I don't know how to use. I've got little airline bottles of Canadian Mist and Seagram's 7, and a big bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling white grape juice. Ideas?

We finally got a piece of furniture that is going to be a dedicated liquor cabinet, so I consolidated stashes from various parts of the house only to find some items that I don't know how to use. I've got little airline bottles of Canadian Mist and Seagram's 7, and a big bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling white grape juice. Ideas?

Chug the booze and pour the grape juice down the drain? :(

Save the little airline bottles for either adult trick-or-treat baskets in the fall, or to put into large plastic eggs for a grown up Easter egg hunt in the Spring. You won't believe how many "non-athletic" types dive to the ground, leap past their friends, or otherwise demonstrate tremendous acts of liquor-hunting celerity during a fun event like that.

Non-alcoholic sparkling white grape juice...a non-alcoholic white sangria, perhaps? Farmer's market peaches (although getting late season), nectarines, and a hit of freshly squeezed lime could turn that into a juicy revelation.

I've got little airline bottles of Canadian Mist and Seagram's 7

If you get desperate, my boozehound will take them:

post-6363-007195900 1282008435_thumb.jpg

post-6363-082740800 1282008461_thumb.jpg

(This is actually from when he was a wee pup and he's much bigger now ... he's probably graduated to fifths instead of stealing airplane-sized bottles of booze. :( )

Non-alcoholic sparkling white grape juice...a non-alcoholic white sangria, perhaps? Farmer's market peaches (although getting late season), nectarines, and a hit of freshly squeezed lime could turn that into a juicy revelation.

Or even alcoholic sangria ... my best recipe comes from a Puerto Rican friend (I know, odd) and it's cut with sparkling lemon-lime mineral water ... the grape juice would negate the need for extra sugar/simple syrup.

I can't believe you corrupted that poor puppy like that. Bacardi? Really? :( In that vein, I tried to find something out about the two little bottles, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I have the Captain Morgan of whiskey on my hands. I'll try to find something redeeming to do with them. Sangria is a nice idea for the sparkling juice - I usually use seltzer.

I've got little airline bottles of Canadian Mist and Seagram's 7...

Jason Wilson wrote about Canadian whisky in last week's Post Food section.

I remembering my uncle drinking Seven and Sevens when I was a kid - 7-Up and Seagram's 7. Ginger ale should work too, since it looks like it's just about a sweet, fizzy alcohol delivery device.

Maybe KMango's ideas *are* the best way to deal with the stuff :(

Wow. After the WaPo article and that ^ comment, I feel like I should defend the underdog liquor. It was on the shelf with some tiny bottles of Barbancourt five-star, so at least it keeps good company. :( I'm curious now, so I'll give it a try tonight just to see how it is.

Edited to say - the Seagram's 7 tastes like sweet, dilute whiskey. Mixed with Bundaberg's ginger beer, it tastes like I put a few drops of bourbon in the glass. So not good, not bad, just OK. Inoffensive, unless you are offended by the lack of something that might cause offense. I can see this working for people who don't want to taste their alcohol.

Am I the only one with liquor cabinet issues? B) I have an entire liter of Amaretto that was a duty-free impulse buy, and, because it's summer, and we finally got our dining chairs (that I ordered before Thanksgiving), I'd like to make something that can be served to a group as a pitcher drink. Giada de Laurentis has a recipe for an amaretto sour sparkling drink with prosecco, and it actually sounds summery and refreshing, but it uses all of an ounce of amaretto. Anyone?

Am I the only one with liquor cabinet issues? B) I have an entire liter of Amaretto that was a duty-free impulse buy, and, because it's summer, and we finally got our dining chairs (that I ordered before Thanksgiving), I'd like to make something that can be served to a group as a pitcher drink. Giada de Laurentis has a recipe for an amaretto sour sparkling drink with prosecco, and it actually sounds summery and refreshing, but it uses all of an ounce of amaretto. Anyone?

This is not a drink at all, but years ago, I used to love to pour amaretto over good vanilla ice cream. That was killer. You might want to tinker with proportions for an amaretto milkshake. That could be quite good.

This is not a drink at all, but years ago, I used to love to pour amaretto over good vanilla ice cream. That was killer. You might want to tinker with proportions for an amaretto milkshake. That could be quite good.

Yikes. Sounds deadly. I may alter that plan and work some into a sorbet. I think it would be nice with peaches, apricots, plums, etc.

Yikes. Sounds deadly. I may alter that plan and work some into a sorbet. I think it would be nice with peaches, apricots, plums, etc.

Well, it wasn't a really huge pour B). It was great with the old Breyer's vanilla ice cream that had real vanilla bean in it.

Wowza, a liter!

You could also serve an amaretto cream cheese dip with fresh fruit slices, accompanied by those amazing GF rosemary crackers you posted a while back.

And make several, additional, small containers of the cream cheese (or make an amaretto syrup, or fruit soaked in the liquor, etc.) to send home with guests.

I'm coming up shy on additional punch recipes, except some sort of amaretto rum punch.