S'chug (S'hug, Skhug)

Tweaked

I was first introduced to S'chug 5 or 6 years ago by an Israeli friend who lived in the Maryland burbs. I never really knew exactly where he bought it other than "some middle eastern store" in Maryland...so I was quite excited when I noticed that the Van Ness Giant is now carrying Sabra brand S'chug (in the hummus section). Perhaps not as kicky as the stuff my friend use to get...but addictively tasty!

Apparently Sabra produces a jalapeno and a hot red pepper version, Giant appears to only have the jalapeno version.

I was first introduced to S'chug 5 or 6 years ago by an Israeli friend who lived in the Maryland burbs. I never really knew exactly where he bought it other than "some middle eastern store" in Maryland...so I was quite excited when I noticed that the Van Ness Giant is now carrying Sabra brand S'chug (in the hummus section). Perhaps not as kicky as the stuff my friend use to get...but addictively tasty!

Apparently Sabra produces a jalapeno and a hot red pepper version, Giant appears to only have the jalapeno version.

you can also try KosherMart on Boiling Brook or Shaloms butcher for the other variety and other brands.

The green sauce we serve with the Brazilian Strip at Ray's is actually my Yemenite girlfriend Tal's (translation=morning dew) mother's recipe, modified from its original fieriness, from when I lived in Israel. Surprisingly. in Yemenite custom, it is traditionally more of a breakfast condiment, served with malau'ach or jachnun and a hard-boiled egg.

I was in the army then, and on an 18-hour pass, we would wake to her serving us this breakfast, with my recently discarded, unspeakably filthy uniform and undergarments freshly laundered and pressed and laid out for me at the foot of the bed. This was in the sub-tropics and rarely was even a top sheet bearable, and to this day nothing even comes close as my favorite thing to eat--excepting ha-na'al.

Rarely was there more than another fifteen minutes after this fueling before heading back out to the fields, but never were the results of schoog ill-spent.

The green sauce we serve with the Brazilian Strip at Ray's is actually my Yemenite girlfriend Tal's (translation=morning dew) mother's recipe, modified from its original fieriness, from when I lived in Israel. Surprisingly. in Yemenite custom, it is traditionally more of a breakfast condiment, served with malau'ach or jachnun and a hard-boiled egg.

I was in the army then, and on an 18-hour pass, we would wake to her serving us this breakfast, with my recently discarded, unspeakably filthy uniform and undergarments freshly laundered and pressed and laid out for me at the foot of the bed. This was in the sub-tropics and rarely was even a top sheet bearable, and to this day nothing even comes close as my favorite thing to eat--excepting ha-na'al.

Rarely was there more than another fifteen minutes after this fueling before heading back out to the fields, but never were the results of schoog ill-spent.

I can totally see some s'chug slathered on top of fried eggs!