Cranberry Beans

Greenbelt's farmers market is taking this weekend off b/c of a Greenbelt Festival so I was thinking I might use it as an opportunity to visit a market in MD or DC that I don't typically visit on Saturday. In particular, I would really like to get some cranberry beans since the vendor at our market hasn't had them yet, as well as small pickling cukes that I can ferment or pickle whole. Other than that, I'm just looking for a market that has a good variety or might offer some interesting or unusual things that I haven't been to before (that rules out any Baltimore markets), producer only (or mostly) please. :(

Any suggestions? I might even venture into VA, but that's probably unlikely unless there's some REALLY good reason (or something else in the area to attract me).

Thanks!

Greenbelt's farmers market is taking this weekend off b/c of a Greenbelt Festival so I was thinking I might use it as an opportunity to visit a market in MD or DC that I don't typically visit on Saturday. In particular, I would really like to get some cranberry beans since the vendor at our market hasn't had them yet, as well as small pickling cukes that I can ferment or pickle whole. Other than that, I'm just looking for a market that has a good variety or might offer some interesting or unusual things that I haven't been to before (that rules out any Baltimore markets), producer only (or mostly) please. :(

Any suggestions? I might even venture into VA, but that's probably unlikely unless there's some REALLY good reason (or something else in the area to attract me).

Thanks!

If you can wait until Sunday, go to the Dupont Market and see Spring Valley (they are in Old Town on Sat)

Spring Valley's in Silver Spring, MD on Saturday, too. Fresh shell beans as announced above. Everybody has cukes.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking I might try a new market, but Silver Spring is the most convenient if I abandon that plan.

Glad to hear there's an abudance of cukes elsewhere. There were none at my farmers market last Sunday, which the exception of 1 1/2 lbs of lemon cukes at the orchard, which I bought in pretty much their entirety except for a few funky stragglers. But not a single pickling cuke to be found. :(

Thanks!

On Saturday you can hit up 14&U, Mt Pleasant, Columbia Heights and Silver Spring in one long morning orgy of FMing. AT 14&U we will have goat cheeses, whoopie pies and other Pa baking, a sale on chicken legs and thighs, grass fed beef, lamb, goat, pastured pork, chicken, duck. Vegan and Classical French pastries. Dolcezza gelato and Sorbet. Shelled Black eyed peas and limas. Shallots, tomatillos, fennel, leeks. lots of cukes. Very good peppers. Corn, tomatoes and the usual veg....

On Saturday you can hit up 14&U, Mt Pleasant, Columbia Heights and Silver Spring in one long morning orgy of FMing. AT 14&U we will have goat cheeses, whoopie pies and other Pa baking, a sale on chicken legs and thighs, grass fed beef, lamb, goat, pastured pork, chicken, duck. Vegan and Classical French pastries. Dolcezza gelato and Sorbet. Shelled Black eyed peas and limas. Shallots, tomatillos, fennel, leeks. lots of cukes. Very good peppers. Corn, tomatoes and the usual veg....

You had me at fennel. :)

Actually, 14&U was on my radar since they made it to teh top of the small markets in the region in a recent survey and it's pretty convenient for being in the city. If I can get myself moving in the morning, I will head down there. If not, Silver Spring it is. :lol: I do love the idea of a FM crawl, but I'm likely to end up sleeping too late for that. :(

Thanks to Anna Blume and MarketFan for hte tips. I did end up doing a little market tour. :( Started at 14&U where I loaded up on meat (I love Truck patch!) as well as fruit and veggies, then stopped at the market a little further north on 14 (no idea which market it even was, not a planned stop, but I was driving right by...) and then finished up at Silver Spring just so I could get the beans and pick up a few things in Whole Foods. Then I had lunch at Adega with a glass of wine before I headed home. :)