Top Chef Just Desserts, on Bravo

goodeats

Has anyone been watching Just Desserts? I have not heard anything and haven't had the chance to watch online.

Also, 1 more spin-off now: Top Chef All-Stars. (With Anthony Bourdain as the 4th judge.)

Just Desserts is OK so far, except for the crazed meltdown of one of the contestants this week. I guess it is a method to stay relevant in the show (drama/nut-job entertainment value gets a pass to the next week as long as the work isn't the most horrible I guess).

I'd be interested in seeing the All-Stars thing made up of contestants that were in the Top3-4 of each season, sure. Will have to set up the DVR...

heather chittum is a contestant.

(***spoiler alert***)

she should have stuck to her guns. my question is: why isn't a whoopie pie considered a cookie? Seth, the histrionic "straight guy*" is the biggest drama queen on the show--a production decision was obviously made to keep him despite his constant flaunting of the contest challenge rules, because he is inherently more interesting from a dramatic point of view than the quiet, competent but less exciting contestants (like HC), who do a credible job at managing the challenges.

*woe betide anyone of whichever gender who gets involved with this immature, narcissistic train wreck.

"The Red Hots were for my mommy!!!"

Why is there no video of this?

Maybe it shows I'm not such a great person, but I gotta say I rewound and watched Seth whine that line several times, laughing and snorting the entire time. I'm going to guess that his mother isn't as proud of him in the show as he thinks she will be.

(***spoiler alert***)

she should have stuck to her guns. my question is: why isn't a whoopie pie considered a cookie? Seth, the histrionic "straight guy*" is the biggest drama queen on the show--a production decision was obviously made to keep him despite his constant flaunting of the contest challenge rules, because he is inherently more interesting from a dramatic point of view than the quiet, competent but less exciting contestants (like HC), who do a credible job at managing the challenges.

*woe betide anyone of whichever gender who gets involved with this immature, narcissistic train wreck.

I agree...whoopie pies would have been awesome.

Seth is using his drama as a strategy to stay on the show as long as possible, plain and simple.

these shows can be quite misleading about the abilities, and personalities, of those appearing on them.

heather c seemed to take everything in stride, including departing. still, i can see how a standard peanut butter cookie wouldn't make the cut. there were a couple of close-up shots of it, and it looked just so plain. couldn't she at least have made a sandwich cookie? the filling could have elevated it.

I find the drama and whining on the 'Just Desserts' run of Top Chef a real distraction and annoyance. Yeah, I will still watch, but I am glad I can skip through the crap with the DVR.

Agree 100%. I guess we can't generalize to all pastry chefs, but this is a really whiny group compared to the flagship Top Chef cheftestants. I was having the same argument with myself that you were after the last episode with Seth's latest breakdown and the quitter. Should I keep watching this frustrating show or is the rest of it cool enough to tolerate the drama? I decided I'll keep watching, but I hope the producers find a better group of people for the next season, assuming it gets picked up.

Bravo supposedly had sky-high ratings for the initial episode of TCJD, but I think after the first two, people are already tuning out (which is a shame) because of all the childish drama and whining. I've been disappointed in the challenges from the get-go... cupcakes???? ice cream sundaes??? c'mon... and with pre-made cake layers??? and Breyer's ice cream??? Let these people show us what they really know how to do. I realize the time constraints are necessary, and affect TCJD much more so than regular/savory TC, but the producers should not hold to the same short time limitations so rigidly, in order to showcase how pastry comes about ( multiple components, and most needing extended time for baking, chilling, setting, freezing, etc) , as opposed to cooking a la minute.

I fully expected a 'bake sale episode' -- a la ballpark/ tailgate challenge like regular TC, so that was okay. Both the cocktail and this week's Lucent Dossier inspired challenges were more interesting and showcased actual talent, (AND the exit of Seth was welcome!) so hopefully that's a sign of better things to come.

As for a 'better group' of cheftestants for a possible second season... that's doubtful. I think more and more these days producers of reality shows (and TC is no exception) are driven to find and fill 2 requirements: drama and diversity. That doesn't always necessarily translate into finding the best talent out there... but hey -- that's what gets ratings, and it's entertaining!

They *really* need to step it up next season (and this one is not even over). What a disappointment this season has been. Considering that there are all *pastry* chefs, you'd think they would have done one challenge that involved them making their own pastry from scratch..... <yawn>

For as pathetic a season as this was (manufactured drama and all), I was glad for the final result. This needs a good critical eye for improvement for next season. I'm actually looking forward to the Top Chef All-Stars.....should be really interesting to see if any of the chefs have evolved since their appearances on prior seasons.

Thank you Don! Hey next time you're in Sou'Wester ask for me!

I am looking forward to the upcoming season and all of the fun that will come with it!

Season two will air on Bravo at 10pmEST on August 24.

wow I just noticed that I have not posted in a while!

I guess you could say that I've been pretty busy...

For all its faults, count me as a fan of a the first season -- it ended strong for those who stayed with it. Yeah, it was overly catty and the format needed work, but the same was true for early seasons of Top Chef (go back and watch the high school cliques from S2, or anything from S4).

Anyway, it seems like Bravo is letting them use their recipes this season. I don't mind it, as long as the challenges are well-structured. Chef Peterson has gotten off to a fast start, winning two team challenges and an individual quick-fire already.

I've been impressed with Chef Peterson so far. He's cooking well. But it is Carlos who I think is going to run away with it in the end. I was deeply disappointed he didn't win last week's challenge.

I am also pleased there is less drama this go round!

I am also finding this season so much better than the first. I had the pleasure of meeting Matthew Petersen last week. Here is my blog post on the experience:

http://beenthereeatenthat-foodobsessed.blogspot.com/2011/09/getting-my-just-desserts-with-matthew.html

CityZen is offering his four-course dessert tasting for $25 and it is so worth it.

Parker House rolls made it to Top Chef! Rooting for Chef Petersen-he's had a good run so far...I like the way they all support each other, and the challenges have been much better this season.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU WATCH THE RERUN ON SATURDAYS--don't read below! :rolleyes:

Whew! The best three chefs have made it to the final, IMO. Yes he made it.

I mostly enjoyed this season better than last, also. I'm sorry Chef Peterson didn't win, but the winner was pretty damned impressive. My main complaint this season was from 2-3 episodes ago and it involved our homeboy, Chef Peterson. He had a cake or something atop an "apple carpaccio". Seriously? Apple carpaccio? Where I come from, it's called slices of apple. ;)

Local rooting interest aside, this finale was less interesting than the first season's. Seemingly a nod to the M.O.F. guests*, these kind of pastry competitions are technically challenging but not what I wanted to see. It'd be like making the finale of the regular Top Chef resemble the Bocuse d'Or (I realize they toyed with this in S6, but not at the end). The idea of a four-course dessert tasting was better.

I also thought playing up their emotions was a little forced -- everyone's back stories had been told well enough without making them project their feelings in a dessert. Good season though, and congrats to Chef Peterson for the impressive showing / recognition.

* Kings of Pastry is an interesting documentary if you get a chance. The level of commitment and family sacrifice is both inspiring and depressing.

Congrats to Chef Petersen--awesome showing!

Can't observe about the difference in the finale since I lost interest in the first season pretty quickly. I really hoped for something different, and I think they did a good job. The professionalism and camaraderie shown by most contestants was refreshing and enjoyable to watch this season; the backstory stuff is typical Top Chef manipulation, so I tolerate it.

Here's the link to the Wapo chat if anyone is interested. Chef mentions he is now doing a dessert tasting menu at Cityzen in the lounge-three courses for $25. Sounds interesting!

should have been watching this thread... so sorry...

I just wanted to thank everyone who supported me during the show and who also voted for me to win FAN FAVORITE!

As squidsdc mentions in the post above, I am doing a dessert tasting menu at the bar in CityZen Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 25$ for four courses!!

Seriously though, I am so honored and humbled to have been a part of Top Chef. The support from fans, colleagues and family was overwhelming and emotional. All that said, I am super happy with the outcome of the show and how they portrayed me, and I am really excited for the future and to be a part of the great culinary community here in Washington DC.

Thanks and cheers.

Matthew