Where To Buy Type 00 Flour?

RaisaB

I looked on the King Arthur site and it is listed as Italian style flour. It has a higher protein % than normal flour. They also have Pure Durum FLour available. I think I will order it as I am too far out to make the trip Downtown for flour.

I looked on the King Arthur site and it is listed as Italian style flour. It has a higher protein % than normal flour. They also have Pure Durum FLour available. I think I will order it as I am too far out to make the trip Downtown for flour.

If that's what you want, then Antoine's Pasta Flour is sold just about everywhere.

If that's what you want, then Antoine's Pasta Flour is sold just about everywhere.

I have used this and do not like it at all. The KA 'Italian Style' is very close to the authentic '00' flour. Depending on how much experience you have with making pasta, the dough made with this flour will be a bit softer than when using regular AP. And speaking of AP, it makes a damn good noodle, so knead away if you have that on hand.

Actually, the flour that King Arthur calls Italian-style, which they also call their American clone of 00, is a lower-protein flour, approximately 8.5%. King Arthur All-Purpose, by contrast, is 11.7 % protein. It's not made from durum wheat, but I don't know exactly what kind of wheat is used. It is excellent for pizza (all-purpose or, worse, "bread" flour make a tough pizza crust). It's also superb for fresh pasta, which comes out supple, elastic, tender, and luscious. It's also ideal for pastry, especially for an all-butter pie crust, which can be quite brittle and tough when made with all-purpose flour. This is, in fact, my favorite flour. I've never seen it in a store, unfortunately, so I have to pay for shipping from Vermont.

Durum wheat is the "hardest" type of wheat; i.e., the flour derived from it has the highest proportion of gluten-forming proteins. (The word "durum" derives from a Latin word meaning "hard", the same root behind "durable" and "endure".) Semolina, which is milled from durum wheat, is the flour used in factory-made dried pasta, a very different product from fresh pasta. Most fresh pasta is made with softer flour (i.e., lower protein), although some people actually do use semolina to make fresh pasta. I've never tried doing this, and have no idea what the finished product would be like. I gather that dough made this way is difficult to work with.

Unsure if the type 00 has been found, but Dean and Deluca in Georgetown has some as of yesterday.

I'm so glad I found this thread!  I've been on a mission to find 00 flour since the cooking class at Maestro last Saturday.  I'll try the place in Alexandria, with King Arthur as a backup.

Small, expensive bags of tipo 00 can also be had at Balducci's, although most of the bags on the shelf at the Old Georgetown Rd (Wildwood) location had burst.

There are also a number of places online that sell the Caputo brand recommended by Verace Pizza Napoletana, and some of them repackage into smaller-than-industrial quantities. The urge to order and split a 50 lb sack from PennMac is considerable, though...

So what is the Duram Wheat flour for? Isn't that supposedly better for pasta? Is Duram also a softer type of wheat?

I found this link, which seems to suggest that tipo 0 or 00 refers to the grind not the protein.

I was at the Dutch Country Market in Burtonsville yesterday and am pretty sure I saw some bags of "00" flour there, but I wasn't specifically looking so I'm not sure. But it's a good place to know about. For example, you can get several types of cream/butter there which are hard to find, fresh rabbits, etc. etc.

Bump.

Has anybody seen 00 Flour around recently? Whole Foods in Vienna was a bust.

I was about to say yes and then realized I saw it at the market in Ann Arbor, MI. Fail.

Did you try The Italian Store? They had it last time I asked.

Bump.

Has anybody seen 00 Flour around recently? Whole Foods in Vienna was a bust.

They have it at the corner market (I forget its name) at Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill, on the corner of 11th and East Capitol.