Cedar Rapids, IA

dacfood

I'm not too hopeful but it doesn't hurt to ask; any suggestions for food in Cedar Rapids? I saw one post about stopping at Steak and Shake near the airport but nothing else. A general google search showed a link for a site that lists top ten dining for places; they only had 6 for Cedar Rapids. There must be some local bbq place perhaps? Or some place taking advantage of farms in the heartland?

thanks

I'm not too hopeful but it doesn't hurt to ask; any suggestions for food in Cedar Rapids? I saw one post about stopping at Steak and Shake near the airport but nothing else. A general google search showed a link for a site that lists top ten dining for places; they only had 6 for Cedar Rapids. There must be some local bbq place perhaps? Or some place taking advantage of farms in the heartland?

thanks

There appears to be little in Cedar Rapids, but a fair number of places in Iowa City nearby. Here is what comes up for Cedar Rapids on Urban Spoon if you do a search. The top ten are nearly all in Iowa City--the "Irish Democrat" appears to be in Cedar Rapids. That could be worth a shot based on the name alone.

There appears to be little in Cedar Rapids, but a fair number of places in Iowa City nearby. Here is what comes up for Cedar Rapids on Urban Spoon if you do a search. The top ten are nearly all in Iowa City--the "Irish Democrat" appears to be in Cedar Rapids. That could be worth a shot based on the name alone.

I'm not sure 30 mules up the interstate qualifies as "near by."

I can, however, speaking as a Democrat of Irish descent whose only visit to CR came via presidential motorcade (OK, one car with a candidate and one van with four reporters and a couple of staff), vouch for the Irish Democrat. Or at any rate, it was a heck of a place in the late 80s with the kind of sheen that tends to improve.

I'm not sure 30 mules up the interstate qualifies as "near by."

I seem to recall it took about 22mins from the center of Uof Iowa to the mall in Cedar Rapids. 30 mules* is considered nearby here -- it often takes me 30 mules to get to Rockville!

*I think you meant miles, but I really like the idea of mules!

Agreed. In IA parlance, Cedar Rapids isn't a far drive from IA city. It takes less time to get between the two than it did for me drive between my home in Mt. Pleasant and my job at Shady Grove and 270 every day.

It's been a long time since I've lived in IA, but CR wasn't known as a culinary destination when I was there and my guess is that the economic downturn hasn't been good to CR. I would definitely suggest taking a trip down the interstate and checking out Iowa City.

The Vernon Inn on the southeast side of town is the closest thing I've found to reliably good, non-chain food in Eastern Iowa. While it may be far from fine dining, it's a place you can comfortably take family or business clients, and has outdoor dining for nice weather.

It seems like Iowa City has become more chain-centric in the last three to four years, I certainly can't think of anything downtown that is worth the 30 minute drive. And I would love to hear if anyone has ever visited the Ced-Rel Supper Club located around 10 miles west of Cedar Rapids. Odd location, run down motel next door, but this place has been consistently packed every Friday and Saturday night for at least 15 years (and judging by the appearance, I'm guessing considerably longer)

Iowa City has a broader array of cuisines than Cedar Rapids because of the international population at U of I, and both Devotay and Red Avocado there are worth a look-see. In Cedar Rapids, I have to admit a guilty enjoyment of Biaggi's, which is reliable chain Italian. You also might look into Czech food there -- it's the one thing I know they have there that's harder to come by in DC.

(Also, if it smells a little funky in CR, don't worry, that's the Quaker Oats factory. Seriously.)