Schild 2008 Barossa Shiraz

Joe H

I am sipping the 2004 Schild Barossa Shiraz as I type this. The Wine Spectator gave this 96 points which is the highest rating I have ever seen for a red wine sold for $20 or less. Several years ago I bought two cases of this from the Carolina Wine Company and am fortunate to still have a few bottles left which-as delicious as it was then-is even better now with three+ years of bottle age. The Wine Spectator's "Advance" gives the '08 94 points which is the second highest number this wine has ever received. Based on what I am sipping this is a wine that everyone reading this should be on the lookout for when it is released in the next month or so. Absolutely remarkable and it may be available for $16 or $17 when discounted. If anyone does buy it please consider putting a few bottles away for the future. Again, the '04 is an unbelievable value with age.

Addendum: '06 Querciabella chianti is drinking incredibly well right now. Two years of bottle age and this is perhaps the best "regular" chianti I have ever had. Even better than the best non reserve Ama's, Fontodi's and Felcina's.

Both of these wines confirm the argument that several years of bottle age can improve a wine. Both were excellent for the price on release. Today, they are excellent without qualification for price.