Trader Joe's Pine Nuts

NolaCaine

So...

My husband contends that he has pine-nut-mouth syndrome. I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased said pine nuts from TJ's in Baily's crossroad store. Here's the thing: I LOVE MY PESTO and do not have a weird mouth right now. anyone else?

Or is this just husband's excuse to drink Perraud?

PS: Package says they are from Russia OR Korea...two every different places, both not China.

Edited by NolaCaine

So...

My husband contends that he has pine-nut-mouth syndrome. I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased said pine nuts from TJ's in Baily's crossroad store. Here's the thing: I LOVE MY PESTO and do not have a weird mouth right now. anyone else?

PS: Package says they are from Russia OR Korea...two every different places, both not China.

OK. It's not that I didn't believe you fine people, but I just didn't believe you fine people. I love pine nuts and while I'm not a huge pesto fan, I have, on occasion, eaten them by the handful to no ill effect. So I have fundamentally doubted this "pine nut mouth" nonsense as a crackpot meme.

But damn!

I never have them around the house, so when I bought a bag at TJ's last week on a whim, I decided to add them to my lovely lentil salad. And now--ew! Everything tastes terrible! Wine is worse than vinegared. Pete's Apizza withered in its wake. My tongue tastes only slightly better than a car tire that's been sitting in the sun. This is vile.

Does Pernaud help? Hell, I'd even drink Fernet at this point if it'd rid me of this misery--and that's saying something. Criminy.

PS: Mine says it's a product of "Korea, Russia, and Vietnam." It should say "biohazard."

So...

I like pine nuts a lot and have been cooking with them for years. I didn't believe pine mouth until I had it last year. A day after having pesto, things started to taste metallic. I couldn't get rid of the taste for a week and a half. Ugh. Of course, that was when I was in culinary school too. Not fun having to get a second opinion on everything I cooked.

So...

There's this post in the Trader Joe's thread.

WEEKS??? Is there anything at all that can help?

Not bloody much. Spicy foods seem to help temporarily. I had a big group dinner at Hong Kong Palace during the worst of my Pine Nut Mouth syndrome and the peppers kept the nasty taste at bay during dinner and for about an hour afterwards. Baking soda in water worked for me as well. Likewise Eno, an antacid dissolved in water that can be found in most Indian groceries. I can't vouch for Alka-seltzer, because I can't tolerate the aspirin found in most versions of it. All relief is temporary.

The worst of it was over in 1 week, but I occasionally still get that damned metallic/bitter taste.

MIght I recommend the pricier, attenuated, paler, tapered pine nuts that WFM (Rockville) imports from Spain? Pine nuts are notorious for going rancid, so I am puzzled as to why any store would sell them in bulk in large bins at room temperature instead of in refrigerated section. Perhaps prolonged colder temperatures affect taste. However, I have luck w these and prefer them; WFM also used to carry fabulous pine nuts, similar/identical type from Turkey. Some nuts you should taste before buying.

MIght I recommend the pricier, attenuated, paler, tapered pine nuts that WFM (Rockville) imports from Spain? Pine nuts are notorious for going rancid, so I am puzzled as to why any store would sell them in bulk in large bins at room temperature instead of in refrigerated section. Perhaps prolonged colder temperatures affect taste. However, I have luck w these and prefer them; WFM also used to carry fabulous pine nuts, similar/identical type from Turkey. Some nuts you should taste before buying.

I buy those expensive Spanish pine nuts and store them in the freezer when I get home--like I do all the nuts I buy. Also, the pine nuts at Costco come from China. (Their inexpensive bags of frozen shrimp are farmed in Vietnam, another no-no as far as I'm concerned.)

I don't know. I've eaten a lot of pine nuts in my time--including those bags at room temp in Whole Foods--and have never had any effect like this. And these absolutely didn't taste rancid, out of the bag, chilled in the freezer, room-temp, toasted, untoasted. Totally normal. But there was something wrong with them that they only made my mouth taste funny a day later.

And it took TEN DAYS! Ten days for it to go away! I'm good now, but man that sucked.

I don't know. I've eaten a lot of pine nuts in my time--including those bags at room temp in Whole Foods--and have never had any effect like this. And these absolutely didn't taste rancid, out of the bag, chilled in the freezer, room-temp, toasted, untoasted. Totally normal. But there was something wrong with them that they only made my mouth taste funny a day later.

And it took TEN DAYS! Ten days for it to go away! I'm good now, but man that sucked.

I've been crazy busy (having Pine Nut Mouth syndrome just before a trip to Hawaii sucks ventworm nuts), but I do have the remainder of the bag which I intend to return to TJ's. They have not yet responded to my emailed complaint. This stuff is unfit for human consumption.